”Sadists exist everywhere and war is their theatre,” notes journalist Connie Burns, who while covering war in Sierra Leone meets Keith MacKenzie, a Brit mercenary she suspects of murder, in Minette Walters’ thriller The Devil’s Feather. Two years later, in Iraq, he kidnaps and terrorizes her for three soul-crushing days. (Walters keeps the details chillingly vague — something to do with dogs and water.) Burns flees to an English country house; while awaiting her Eye of the Needle reckoning with MacKenzie, she unravels an appalling local crime. Walters gracefully balances crowd-pleasing theatrics with a wickedly ambiguous ending.
The Devil's Feather''Sadists exist everywhere and war is their theatre,'' notes journalist Connie Burns, who while covering war in Sierra Leone meets Keith MacKenzie, a...The Devil's FeatherMystery and Thriller, FictionMinette Walters''Sadists exist everywhere and war is their theatre,'' notes journalist Connie Burns, who while covering war in Sierra Leone meets Keith MacKenzie, a...2006-08-23Knopf
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Minette Walters; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!