It wasn’t much of a summer for female studio filmmakers. Just three weeks after veteran director Betty Thomas turned out the execrable John Tucker Must Die, longtime helmer Martha Coolidge (Rambling Rose, Real Genius) signs her name to the even worse, ever-unfunnier Material Girls. Here the Duffs — playing a pair of dopey rich sisters out to save their late father’s cosmetics company — are so unsympathetic, exasperating, and smug from the get-go that you figure the movie has to be a send-up of the Hiltons, or the Olsens, or something. But it’s not Clueless, just clueless.
(Material Girls: Joyce Rudolph)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Haylie Duff, Hilary Duff, Anjelica Huston; Director: Martha Coolidge; Author: Jessica O'Toole, John Quaintance, Amy Rardin; Release Date Wide: 08/18/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted August 23 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game