It wasn’t much of a summer for female studio filmmakers. Just three weeks after veteran director Betty Thomas turned out the execrable John Tucker Must Die, longtime helmer Martha Coolidge (Rambling Rose, Real Genius) signs her name to the even worse, ever-unfunnier Material Girls. Here the Duffs — playing a pair of dopey rich sisters out to save their late father’s cosmetics company — are so unsympathetic, exasperating, and smug from the get-go that you figure the movie has to be a send-up of the Hiltons, or the Olsens, or something. But it’s not Clueless, just clueless.
(Material Girls: Joyce Rudolph)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Haylie Duff, Hilary Duff, Anjelica Huston; Director: Martha Coolidge; Author: Jessica O'Toole, John Quaintance, Amy Rardin; Release Date Wide: 08/18/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted August 23 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in new comic issue
- Bill Cosby faces new sexual assault claim
- Bill Cosby: Career is 'far from finished'
- 'Glee' finale: Count Jonathan Groff in
- Vikings: Katheryn Winnick on Lagertha's season 3 plans
- 'Batman: Arkham Knight' comic: Preview 4 pages
- Zelda Williams reflects on dad Robin Williams' legacy on 'Today'
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!