It wasn’t much of a summer for female studio filmmakers. Just three weeks after veteran director Betty Thomas turned out the execrable John Tucker Must Die, longtime helmer Martha Coolidge (Rambling Rose, Real Genius) signs her name to the even worse, ever-unfunnier Material Girls. Here the Duffs — playing a pair of dopey rich sisters out to save their late father’s cosmetics company — are so unsympathetic, exasperating, and smug from the get-go that you figure the movie has to be a send-up of the Hiltons, or the Olsens, or something. But it’s not Clueless, just clueless.
(Material Girls: Joyce Rudolph)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Haylie Duff, Hilary Duff, Anjelica Huston; Director: Martha Coolidge; Author: Jessica O'Toole, John Quaintance, Amy Rardin; Release Date Wide: 08/18/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted August 23 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!