It wasn’t much of a summer for female studio filmmakers. Just three weeks after veteran director Betty Thomas turned out the execrable John Tucker Must Die, longtime helmer Martha Coolidge (Rambling Rose, Real Genius) signs her name to the even worse, ever-unfunnier Material Girls. Here the Duffs — playing a pair of dopey rich sisters out to save their late father’s cosmetics company — are so unsympathetic, exasperating, and smug from the get-go that you figure the movie has to be a send-up of the Hiltons, or the Olsens, or something. But it’s not Clueless, just clueless.
(Material Girls: Joyce Rudolph)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Haylie Duff, Hilary Duff, Anjelica Huston; Director: Martha Coolidge; Author: Jessica O'Toole, John Quaintance, Amy Rardin; Release Date Wide: 08/18/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Play as Batgirl in 'Batman: Arkham Knight' additional content
- 'Finding Neverland: The Album' to feature Nick Jonas, Jennifer Lopez, and more -- exclusive
- Miguel releases Wale-featuring 'Coffee (F---king)'
- Britney Spears, Iggy Azalea release 'Pretty Girls': Like it?
- Domhnall Gleeson teaches us how to pronounce 'Domhnall Gleeson'
- 'Star Wars: Episode VIII' to film at Pinewood Studios
- 'Blurred Lines' may get another trial
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!