It wasn’t much of a summer for female studio filmmakers. Just three weeks after veteran director Betty Thomas turned out the execrable John Tucker Must Die, longtime helmer Martha Coolidge (Rambling Rose, Real Genius) signs her name to the even worse, ever-unfunnier Material Girls. Here the Duffs — playing a pair of dopey rich sisters out to save their late father’s cosmetics company — are so unsympathetic, exasperating, and smug from the get-go that you figure the movie has to be a send-up of the Hiltons, or the Olsens, or something. But it’s not Clueless, just clueless.
(Material Girls: Joyce Rudolph)
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Haylie Duff, Hilary Duff, Anjelica Huston; Director: Martha Coolidge; Author: Jessica O'Toole, John Quaintance, Amy Rardin; Release Date Wide: 08/18/2006; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: MGM
Posted August 23 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters