Spanish director Fernando León de Aranoa made a tiny splash in 2002, when his Javier Bardem drama Mondays in the Sun beat out Pedro Almodóvar’s Talk to Her as Spain’s official entry for the Oscars. He returns with Princesas, an ambling tale of two Madrid hookers-with-hearts-of-gold (one wants implants, the other misses her kid). The way that Aranoa so clearly venerates his lively women feels Almodóvar-esque, but the movie aims most of all to suggest that hookerdom is hell — and it’s neither realistic nor unsentimental enough to pull that off.
(Princesas: Teresa Isasi)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Micaela Nevarez, Candela Pena, Maria Elena Cordero; Director: Fernando Leon de Aranoa; Author: Fernando Leon de Aranoa; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2006; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 23 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fear the Walking Dead producers reveal how much time season 1 will cover
- The CW moves up premiere dates for 'Jane the Virgin,' 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'
- Jemaine Clement voices a 'mind-reading fart' in exclusive 'Rick and Morty' clip
- John Carpenter pays tribute to 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper
- Patrick Stewart on cocaine is hilarious in 'Blunt Talk' trailer
- Wrestling great Roddy Piper dies
- See the exclusive first trailer of 'First Times with Jenn and Jack'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!