Spanish director Fernando León de Aranoa made a tiny splash in 2002, when his Javier Bardem drama Mondays in the Sun beat out Pedro Almodóvar’s Talk to Her as Spain’s official entry for the Oscars. He returns with Princesas, an ambling tale of two Madrid hookers-with-hearts-of-gold (one wants implants, the other misses her kid). The way that Aranoa so clearly venerates his lively women feels Almodóvar-esque, but the movie aims most of all to suggest that hookerdom is hell — and it’s neither realistic nor unsentimental enough to pull that off.
(Princesas: Teresa Isasi)
Genre: Drama; Starring: Micaela Nevarez, Candela Pena, Maria Elena Cordero; Director: Fernando Leon de Aranoa; Author: Fernando Leon de Aranoa; Release Date Limited: 08/23/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 114; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 23 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Robin Williams' daughter shares touching tribute to Oliver Sacks
- Jay Z apparently joined Instagram – then quit after only a few hours
- See Miley Cyrus meet Internet sensation Baddie Winkle before the VMAs
- Netflix will lose 'Catching Fire,' 'Transformers' at the end of September
- See the 'Man of Steel' trailer get the 'Deadpool' treatment
- See 'Game of Thrones' fans visit filming locations around the world
- Dave Grohl celebrates Chicago’s music scene at Wrigley Field show
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!