Things just got really messy for North Carolina Sheriff’s Deputy Dwight Bryant, whose terrified 8-year-old son, Cal, calls him in a panic after his mom (and Dwight’s ex-wife) disappears into the chilly night air with nary a word. Then Cal himself goes MIA, sending Dwight on a harried hunt for answers. (His second wife, judge Deborah Knott, also elbows her way in to provide assistance.) It’s not a bad setup, but the resulting 324 pages of Winter’s Child are far from original. Margaret Maron writes in a crisp, undemanding style familiar to anybody who’s plowed through a Mary Higgins Clark novel, her characters dim the suspense by speaking in helpful — but rudimentary — sprays of revealing dialogue, and mystery aficionados will figure out whodunit far sooner than they’d like.
Winter's ChildThings just got really messy for North Carolina Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, whose terrified 8-year-old son, Cal, calls him in a panic after his mom ...Winter's ChildMystery and Thriller, FictionMargaret MaronThings just got really messy for North Carolina Sheriff's Deputy Dwight Bryant, whose terrified 8-year-old son, Cal, calls him in a panic after his mom ...2006-08-23Mysterious Press
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Margaret Maron; Publisher: Mysterious Press
Posted August 23 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- Pentangle founding member John Renbourn dies at 70
- Taylor Swift is one of the 'World's Greatest Leaders,' according to 'Fortune'
- Box office preview: 'Home' faces off against 'Get Hard'
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!