Although Angel’s Rest takes place in ’60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clichéville, USA. Narrating with breathless naïveté, 11-year-old Charlie York begins the story after his perfect dad — mayor and TV-store owner — dies from a suspicious shotgun blast. After his mother is arrested for the murder, she leaves Charlie in the hands of a family friend, an ”old colored man” who becomes a surrogate father figure. Despite some cringe-worthy stock characters (crazy man Hollis Thrasher, prejudiced Granddaddy) and the tiresome Tom Sawyerish tone, Charles Davis’ satisfying plot twists have a heartfelt kick.
Angel's Rest Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...Angel's RestFictionCharles Davis Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...2006-08-25Mira
Genre: Fiction; Author: Charles Davis; Publisher: Mira
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Angelina Jolie in talks to star in war drama 'Shoot Like a Girl'
- 'Pitch': A radio caller thought Ginny Baker was a real baseball player
- 'Timeless' showrunners say TV has become too 'dark'
- 5 key tracks on the 'American Honey' soundtrack
- Intense trailer for 'Evolution' features a disturbing discovery
- 'Elementary' boss previews new threats in season 6
- Inside the strange storytelling factory of Tahereh Mafi and Ransom Riggs