Although Angel’s Rest takes place in ’60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clichéville, USA. Narrating with breathless naïveté, 11-year-old Charlie York begins the story after his perfect dad — mayor and TV-store owner — dies from a suspicious shotgun blast. After his mother is arrested for the murder, she leaves Charlie in the hands of a family friend, an ”old colored man” who becomes a surrogate father figure. Despite some cringe-worthy stock characters (crazy man Hollis Thrasher, prejudiced Granddaddy) and the tiresome Tom Sawyerish tone, Charles Davis’ satisfying plot twists have a heartfelt kick.
Angel's Rest Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...Angel's RestFictionCharles Davis Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...2006-08-25Mira
Genre: Fiction; Author: Charles Davis; Publisher: Mira
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Some banned 'Pokémon Go' accounts will be reinstated
- Phil Collins, Leslie Odom Jr. sing 'Easy Lover' at U.S. Open
- Colton Haynes accepts HRC award: 'Equality is our birthright'
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star Darrell Ward dies in plane crash
- Florida Georgia Line talk working with Tim McGraw for 'powerful' new video
- 'A Monster Calls' release set for awards season
- Sturgill Simpson slams Academy of Country Music over Merle Haggard Award