Although Angel’s Rest takes place in ’60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clichéville, USA. Narrating with breathless naïveté, 11-year-old Charlie York begins the story after his perfect dad — mayor and TV-store owner — dies from a suspicious shotgun blast. After his mother is arrested for the murder, she leaves Charlie in the hands of a family friend, an ”old colored man” who becomes a surrogate father figure. Despite some cringe-worthy stock characters (crazy man Hollis Thrasher, prejudiced Granddaddy) and the tiresome Tom Sawyerish tone, Charles Davis’ satisfying plot twists have a heartfelt kick.
Angel's Rest Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...Angel's RestFictionCharles Davis Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...2006-08-25Mira
Genre: Fiction; Author: Charles Davis; Publisher: Mira
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal': Bellamy Young talks Fitz and Olivia's now-public affair
- Advocacy group criticizes 'The Martian' for changing Asian-American characters
- Julie Plec blogs the season 3 premiere of 'The Originals'
- Luke Evans, Henry Cavill join Nicholas Hoult in 'Sand Castle'
- This new preview of 'Room' will make you want to call your mom
- Julie's Diary: Julie Plec blogs the 'Vampire Diaries' season 7 premiere
- 'Game of Thrones' cast speculates about season 6 (and beyond) at NYCC