Although Angel’s Rest takes place in ’60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clichéville, USA. Narrating with breathless naïveté, 11-year-old Charlie York begins the story after his perfect dad — mayor and TV-store owner — dies from a suspicious shotgun blast. After his mother is arrested for the murder, she leaves Charlie in the hands of a family friend, an ”old colored man” who becomes a surrogate father figure. Despite some cringe-worthy stock characters (crazy man Hollis Thrasher, prejudiced Granddaddy) and the tiresome Tom Sawyerish tone, Charles Davis’ satisfying plot twists have a heartfelt kick.
Angel's Rest Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...Angel's RestFictionCharles Davis Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...2006-08-25Mira
Genre: Fiction; Author: Charles Davis; Publisher: Mira
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- National Spelling Bee announces two champions
- Hulu executive explains decision to pull '19 Kids & Counting'
- Mariah Carey calls 'American Idol' stint as 'the worst experience of my life'
- Kristen Bell live tweets her mistaken UberPool ride
- Casting Net: B.J. Novak joins Michael Keaton's 'The Founder,' Will Forte boards Key & Peele comedy
- Hilary Duff shares the track listing for 'Breathe In. Breathe Out.'