Although Angel’s Rest takes place in ’60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clichéville, USA. Narrating with breathless naïveté, 11-year-old Charlie York begins the story after his perfect dad — mayor and TV-store owner — dies from a suspicious shotgun blast. After his mother is arrested for the murder, she leaves Charlie in the hands of a family friend, an ”old colored man” who becomes a surrogate father figure. Despite some cringe-worthy stock characters (crazy man Hollis Thrasher, prejudiced Granddaddy) and the tiresome Tom Sawyerish tone, Charles Davis’ satisfying plot twists have a heartfelt kick.
Angel's Rest Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...Angel's RestFictionCharles Davis Although Angel's Rest takes place in '60s Sunnyside, Va., the whiff of biscuits and tobacco juice veers a bit close to Southern Clich&...2006-08-25Mira
Genre: Fiction; Author: Charles Davis; Publisher: Mira
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jerry Seinfeld announces Beacon Theater residency for 2016
- 'Inside Out,' 'The Good Dinosaur' lead Annie Awards nominations
- Rambo TV series in the works at Fox
- Best of 2015 (Behind the Scenes): Patrick Dempsey says goodbye to McDreamy
- Aziz Ansari on the diversity in 'Master of None': 'That's kind of my reality'
- Carrie Underwood trots barefoot through the woods in new video for 'Heartbeat'
- Luke Bryan, Demi Lovato, Wiz Khalifa, and Charlie Puth to perform on 'Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve'