Raymond Chandler and director Billy Wilder turn James M. Cain’s novella Double Indemnity’s venal insurance salesman (Fred MacMurray) into a sardonic Philip Marlowe gone wrong; Barbara Stanwyck cracks wise too, while dripping pheromones. EXTRAS Chats about noir, pulp, and Stanwyck’s cheap blond wig. ”Wilder always thought [the wig] was one of the biggest mistakes of his career,” says Lem Dobbs in one commentary. ”I think it’s perfect,” says Richard Schickel in another. Perversely fascinating: A ‘73 TV remake, with a near-identical script, is claw-your-eyes-out awful.
Double Indemnity Raymond Chandler and director Billy Wilder turn James M. Cain's novella Double Indemnity's venal insurance salesman (Fred MacMurray)...Double IndemnityMystery and ThrillerRaymond Chandler, Billy WilderUnrated Raymond Chandler and director Billy Wilder turn James M. Cain's novella Double Indemnity's venal insurance salesman (Fred MacMurray)...2006-08-25Edward G. Robinson
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson; Director: Billy Wilder; Author: Raymond Chandler, Billy Wilder; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 11 excellent new books to read in May
- 'Bone Tomahawk' director to reboot 'Puppet Master' franchise
- What time are the Tony nominations?
- 'Space Jam' sequel with LeBron James, Justin Lin in development
- 'Ghostbusters': The most scrutinized movie of the summer?
- Kesha thanks Lady Gaga and fans in emotional Instagram post
- LOL through 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' as told by emojis
- 'Wayward Pines' Season 2: Exclusive Photos of the New Main Cast
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour