Raymond Chandler and director Billy Wilder turn James M. Cain’s novella Double Indemnity’s venal insurance salesman (Fred MacMurray) into a sardonic Philip Marlowe gone wrong; Barbara Stanwyck cracks wise too, while dripping pheromones. EXTRAS Chats about noir, pulp, and Stanwyck’s cheap blond wig. ”Wilder always thought [the wig] was one of the biggest mistakes of his career,” says Lem Dobbs in one commentary. ”I think it’s perfect,” says Richard Schickel in another. Perversely fascinating: A ‘73 TV remake, with a near-identical script, is claw-your-eyes-out awful.
Double Indemnity Raymond Chandler and director Billy Wilder turn James M. Cain's novella Double Indemnity's venal insurance salesman (Fred MacMurray)...Double IndemnityMystery and ThrillerRaymond Chandler, Billy WilderUnrated Raymond Chandler and director Billy Wilder turn James M. Cain's novella Double Indemnity's venal insurance salesman (Fred MacMurray)...2006-08-25Edward G. Robinson
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson; Director: Billy Wilder; Author: Raymond Chandler, Billy Wilder; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!