After 17,162 NYC performances and possibly more church-basement versions, the world’s longest-running musical doesn’t need reviving. But it’s hard to resist The Fantasticks’ vintage charm: unamplified actors (still-spry coauthor Tom Jones plays ”Old Actor,” a part he originated in 1960); artsy-craftsy effects like confetti snow and sequined rain; a sweetly melodic score composed of standards (the tinkly waltz ”Try to Remember”) and oddities (the root-vegetable salute ”Plant a Radish”). But for $75, you’d think the Snapple Theater Center would throw in a free iced tea.
Starring: Thomas Bruce, Leo Burmester, Santino Fontana, Burke Moses, Robert R. Oliver, Douglas Ullman, Jr., Martin Vidnovic; Director: Tom Jones (Writer); Author: Tom Jones (Writer), Harvey Schmidt; Opening Date: 08/24/2006; Status: In Season
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George Takei: Nimoy 'the most human person I've ever met'
- Zachary Quinto on Leonard Nimoy: 'a father figure to me'
- Kevin Hart, Will Ferrell in 'Get Hard': Red-band trailer really, REALLY NSFW
- Natalie Dormer stars in Hozier's 'Someone New' video
- Vincent D'Onofrio as 'Daredevil' nemesis Wilson Fisk: First Look
- Pharrell talks 'The Voice,' Lionel Richie as adviser
- 'Spider-Man': Drew Goddard as director?