After 17,162 NYC performances and possibly more church-basement versions, the world’s longest-running musical doesn’t need reviving. But it’s hard to resist The Fantasticks’ vintage charm: unamplified actors (still-spry coauthor Tom Jones plays ”Old Actor,” a part he originated in 1960); artsy-craftsy effects like confetti snow and sequined rain; a sweetly melodic score composed of standards (the tinkly waltz ”Try to Remember”) and oddities (the root-vegetable salute ”Plant a Radish”). But for $75, you’d think the Snapple Theater Center would throw in a free iced tea.
Starring: Thomas Bruce, Leo Burmester, Santino Fontana, Burke Moses, Robert R. Oliver, Douglas Ullman, Jr., Martin Vidnovic; Director: Tom Jones (Writer); Author: Tom Jones (Writer), Harvey Schmidt; Opening Date: 08/24/2006
Posted January 17 2015 — 2:22 PM EST
- Bruce Jenner E! show about life as transgender woman will air in July
- Bruce Jenner confesses Kim Kardashian was the first to know
- Kanye West helped Kim Kardashian accept Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner to Diane Sawyer: 'The female part of me is who I am'
- Casting Net: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to star in thriller 'Shot Caller'
- Christian Bale knee injury delays production on Fox's 'The Deep Blue Good-by'
- Jared Leto as the Joker: 'Suicide Squad' director tweets a photo