After 17,162 NYC performances and possibly more church-basement versions, the world’s longest-running musical doesn’t need reviving. But it’s hard to resist The Fantasticks’ vintage charm: unamplified actors (still-spry coauthor Tom Jones plays ”Old Actor,” a part he originated in 1960); artsy-craftsy effects like confetti snow and sequined rain; a sweetly melodic score composed of standards (the tinkly waltz ”Try to Remember”) and oddities (the root-vegetable salute ”Plant a Radish”). But for $75, you’d think the Snapple Theater Center would throw in a free iced tea.
Starring: Thomas Bruce, Leo Burmester, Santino Fontana, Burke Moses, Robert R. Oliver, Douglas Ullman, Jr., Martin Vidnovic; Director: Tom Jones (Writer); Author: Tom Jones (Writer), Harvey Schmidt; Opening Date: 08/24/2006
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The time J.J. Abrams broke his back trying to help Harrison Ford
- Are you smarter than a Whoopi Goldberg impersonator?
- 50 things we love about J.K. Rowling for her 50th birthday
- Surprise! One Direction drop first song without Zayn
- Vampire Weekend bassist premieres solo-project single
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Helen Mirren, Tom Cruise, The Baldwins & More!