After 17,162 NYC performances and possibly more church-basement versions, the world’s longest-running musical doesn’t need reviving. But it’s hard to resist The Fantasticks’ vintage charm: unamplified actors (still-spry coauthor Tom Jones plays ”Old Actor,” a part he originated in 1960); artsy-craftsy effects like confetti snow and sequined rain; a sweetly melodic score composed of standards (the tinkly waltz ”Try to Remember”) and oddities (the root-vegetable salute ”Plant a Radish”). But for $75, you’d think the Snapple Theater Center would throw in a free iced tea.
Starring: Thomas Bruce, Leo Burmester, Santino Fontana, Burke Moses, Robert R. Oliver, Douglas Ullman, Jr., Martin Vidnovic; Director: Tom Jones (Writer); Author: Tom Jones (Writer), Harvey Schmidt; Opening Date: 08/24/2006
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- NBC pulls plug on 'Coach' revival
- 'AHS: Hotel': Ryan Murphy shares three super creepy teasers
- Casting Net: Missi Pyle, Joey Lawrence hit horse rescue drama 'Emma's Chance'
- Rick Ross announces new album will be released this week
- Kesha to guest-star on 'Jane the Virgin'
- 'Dancing With the Stars': Peta Murgatroyd to skip season due to injury
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!