After 17,162 NYC performances and possibly more church-basement versions, the world’s longest-running musical doesn’t need reviving. But it’s hard to resist The Fantasticks’ vintage charm: unamplified actors (still-spry coauthor Tom Jones plays ”Old Actor,” a part he originated in 1960); artsy-craftsy effects like confetti snow and sequined rain; a sweetly melodic score composed of standards (the tinkly waltz ”Try to Remember”) and oddities (the root-vegetable salute ”Plant a Radish”). But for $75, you’d think the Snapple Theater Center would throw in a free iced tea.
Starring: Thomas Bruce, Leo Burmester, Santino Fontana, Burke Moses, Robert R. Oliver, Douglas Ullman, Jr., Martin Vidnovic; Director: Tom Jones (Writer); Author: Tom Jones (Writer), Harvey Schmidt; Opening Date: 08/24/2006
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ariana Grande rides into the desert with new guy in 'Into You' video
- 'Blindspot' unveils summer-long social scavenger hunt
- 'Blindspot' shocker: Who is Jane Doe, really?
- Animals with A-list voices take center stage in full 'Sing' trailer
- Nyle DiMarco’s freestyle is ‘best’ in ‘DWTS’ history, Carrie-Ann Inaba says
- '12 Monkeys': What's happened to Railly?
- 'The Flash': Can Barry stop Zoom from destroying the multi-verse?