Indian Blood is a memory play, a period piece, a coming-of-age comedy, a family drama: Combining all that into a remotely coherent piece would be a victory for any playwright. That it’s also touching but not treacly, self-aware but not smart-alecky, and weighty while clocking in under two hours is something few dramatists could manage: Richard Greenberg, Horton Foote, and, in this case, 75-year-old A.R. Gurney. As he did in 1999’s Ancestral Voices, Gurney returns to his native Buffalo and shakes down the family tree for inspiration. His narrator/stand-in is Eddie (Charles Socarides), a full-of-potential, afforded-every-opportunity 16-year-old who blames his disruptive behavior — drawing literary porn in Latin class, for example — on his ”Indian blood.” And looking to his elders — mainly, his paternal grandparents — for forgiveness, validation, and direction proves less rewarding than our young hero expects. ”Are you in love with someone?” queries his grandmother (Pamela Payton-Wright). ”Does she have an attractive nose?” Turns out, underneath their buttoned-up exteriors, Gurney’s prototypical WASPs are as dysfunctional as any other clan — drifting, fighting, fearful of their future. ”We’re being bypassed,” says grandpa (a masterful John McMartin), ostensibly of his once-booming, now-declining hometown. ”We’re being bypassed. We’re through.” Let’s hope not — we want to hear more from Gurney’s family. (Tickets: TicketCentral.com or 212-279-4200)
Indian BloodIndian Blood is a memory play, a period piece, a coming-of-age comedy, a family drama: Combining all that into a remotely coherent piece...Indian BloodA.R. GurneyIndian Blood is a memory play, a period piece, a coming-of-age comedy, a family drama: Combining all that into a remotely coherent piece...2006-08-25Rebecca LukerJohn McMartinPamela Payton-Wright
Starring: Charles Socarides; Starring: Rebecca Luker, John McMartin, Pamela Payton-Wright; Director: Mark Lamos; Author: A.R. Gurney; Opening Date: 08/09/2006
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!