A couple seasons back, Sarah Jones burst onto the Off Broadway scene with Bridge & Tunnel and raised the proverbial bar for solo shows. Now, with the sensational No Child…, Nilaja Sun has pretty much obliterated it. Comparisons with Jones are inevitable: They’re both women of color who write and perform their own work; both trot out a seemingly endless array of accents and characters; both bravely rely not on props and sets but on their audiences’ imaginations. In her semi-autobiographical piece, Sun plays some 17 parts, including herself, an idealistic starving actor/teaching artist at the fictional Malcolm X High School in the Bronx, N.Y. Her task? To get a class of ”spirited” teens to read and perform in Timberlake Wertenbaker’s Our Country’s Good. (And no, the irony of casting ”a group of delinquents” in a drama about convicts does not escape her.) Pinballing across the Barrow Street Theater stage, Sun morphs easily into a gum-cracking black girl, an over-vigilant security guard, a beleaguered Asian teacher, a grizzled seen-it-all janitor — for the entire hour and a half, her energy is infectious and unflagging. (How does she do it? Gingko? B vitamins? Inquiring sleep-deprived minds want to know.) In the end, ”Ms. Sun” the teacher finds both success and failure. As for Ms. Sun the writer-actress, she finds only success. (Tickets: Telecharge.com or 212-239-6200)
No Child...A couple seasons back, Sarah Jones burst onto the Off Broadway scene with No Child...Nilaja SunA couple seasons back, Sarah Jones burst onto the Off Broadway scene with 2006-08-25
Starring: Nilaja Sun; Director: Hal Brooks; Author: Nilaja Sun; Opening Date: 07/16/2006
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!