A couple seasons back, Sarah Jones burst onto the Off Broadway scene with Bridge & Tunnel and raised the proverbial bar for solo shows. Now, with the sensational No Child…, Nilaja Sun has pretty much obliterated it. Comparisons with Jones are inevitable: They’re both women of color who write and perform their own work; both trot out a seemingly endless array of accents and characters; both bravely rely not on props and sets but on their audiences’ imaginations. In her semi-autobiographical piece, Sun plays some 17 parts, including herself, an idealistic starving actor/teaching artist at the fictional Malcolm X High School in the Bronx, N.Y. Her task? To get a class of ”spirited” teens to read and perform in Timberlake Wertenbaker’s Our Country’s Good. (And no, the irony of casting ”a group of delinquents” in a drama about convicts does not escape her.) Pinballing across the Barrow Street Theater stage, Sun morphs easily into a gum-cracking black girl, an over-vigilant security guard, a beleaguered Asian teacher, a grizzled seen-it-all janitor — for the entire hour and a half, her energy is infectious and unflagging. (How does she do it? Gingko? B vitamins? Inquiring sleep-deprived minds want to know.) In the end, ”Ms. Sun” the teacher finds both success and failure. As for Ms. Sun the writer-actress, she finds only success. (Tickets: Telecharge.com or 212-239-6200)
No Child...A couple seasons back, Sarah Jones burst onto the Off Broadway scene with No Child...Nilaja SunA couple seasons back, Sarah Jones burst onto the Off Broadway scene with 2006-08-25
Starring: Nilaja Sun; Director: Hal Brooks; Author: Nilaja Sun; Opening Date: 07/16/2006
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'X-Files' writer on Monday night's huge spoiler
- Lupita Nyong'o in talks to star in sci-fi thriller 'Intelligent Life'
- 'Orange Is the New Black' star Taryn Manning is suing New York City over 2014 arrest
- 'Taxi Driver' turns 40: Five ways the movie affected pop culture
- Billy Eichner's trailer was hit by a truck while he was inside
- ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons to star in Discovery pilot 'Rockin' Roadsters'
- 'The Flash' star Danielle Panabaker teases Killer Frost's icy Earth-2 debut