In its first New York revival, August Wilson’s Seven Guitars (the ’40s entry in the late dramatist’s 10-play, 100-year chronicle of black life in 20th-century America) unspools in what feels like geologic time, sometimes with the muddy luxuriance of a blues solo, often with the ponderous noodling of a bad blues solo. The story — in which success spells doom for ambitious guitarist Floyd ”Schoolboy” Barton (inhabited cadaverously by The Wire’s Lance Reddick) — is a series of riffs, but grand opera is what director Ruben Santiago-Hudson has in mind. The result is an epic mismatch.
Seven Guitars In its first New York revival, August Wilson's Seven Guitars (the '40s entry in the late dramatist's 10-play, 100-year chronicle of...Seven GuitarsAugust Wilson In its first New York revival, August Wilson's Seven Guitars (the '40s entry in the late dramatist's 10-play, 100-year chronicle of...2006-08-25
Starring: Kevin Carroll, Cassandra Freeman, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Brenda Pressley, Lance Reddick, Charles Weldon; Director: Ruben Santiago-Hudson; Author: August Wilson; Opening Date: 08/24/2006
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- Fear the Walking Dead producers reveal how much time season 1 will cover
- The CW moves up premiere dates for 'Jane the Virgin,' 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend'
- Jemaine Clement voices a 'mind-reading fart' in exclusive 'Rick and Morty' clip
- John Carpenter pays tribute to 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!