In its first New York revival, August Wilson’s Seven Guitars (the ’40s entry in the late dramatist’s 10-play, 100-year chronicle of black life in 20th-century America) unspools in what feels like geologic time, sometimes with the muddy luxuriance of a blues solo, often with the ponderous noodling of a bad blues solo. The story — in which success spells doom for ambitious guitarist Floyd ”Schoolboy” Barton (inhabited cadaverously by The Wire’s Lance Reddick) — is a series of riffs, but grand opera is what director Ruben Santiago-Hudson has in mind. The result is an epic mismatch.
Seven Guitars In its first New York revival, August Wilson's Seven Guitars (the '40s entry in the late dramatist's 10-play, 100-year chronicle of...Seven GuitarsAugust Wilson In its first New York revival, August Wilson's Seven Guitars (the '40s entry in the late dramatist's 10-play, 100-year chronicle of...2006-08-25
Starring: Kevin Carroll, Cassandra Freeman, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Brenda Pressley, Lance Reddick, Charles Weldon; Director: Ruben Santiago-Hudson; Author: August Wilson; Opening Date: 08/24/2006
Posted August 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Here's what the critics are saying about 'Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain'
- Need to catch 'Empire'? Fox airing a full-season marathon on Labor Day
- 'The View': Rosie Perez says she would return for a 'visit'
- J.K. Rowling sorts James Sirius Potter and Teddy Lupin into Hogwarts houses
- Good news, Leslie Knope: Hillary Clinton is a fan of 'Parks and Rec'
- See a supercut of shrieks from Wes Craven's filmography
- See Toni Collette and Drew Barrymore in 'Miss You Already' trailer
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Laura & Andrew, Rihanna and More!