In his muscular, reality-based fiction, Edward P. Jones chronicles the African-American experience — on the streets of Washington, D.C., in loving and desperately loveless homes, on antebellum plantations, in prison. The 14 tales in his All Aunt Hagar’s Children are substantial and populous, explicitly concerned with the ever-pertinent question: How do we balance duty to others with our own needs? The feckless 24-year-old narrator of the masterful title story spends his days dodging a bitter ex-girlfriend and daydreaming about hunting for gold in Alaska. He is ”just starting to dance away on the easy side — a little soft-shoe here, a little soft-shoe there,” avoiding all claims on his time. Then an immigrant woman dies in front of him on the street, and his mother’s childhood friend asks him to help find her son’s murderer. In this rambling, earthy whodunit, Jones weaves together three plotlines, a handful of backstories, a dozen characters, and a portrait of a young man on the brink of maturity. It’s more than you get from most novels.
All Aunt Hagar's ChildrenIn his muscular, reality-based fiction, Edward P. Jones chronicles the African-American experience — on the streets of Washington, D.C., in loving...All Aunt Hagar's ChildrenShort Stories, FictionEdward P. JonesIn his muscular, reality-based fiction, Edward P. Jones chronicles the African-American experience — on the streets of Washington, D.C., in loving...2006-08-30Amistad
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Edward P. Jones; Publisher: Amistad
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More