In his muscular, reality-based fiction, Edward P. Jones chronicles the African-American experience — on the streets of Washington, D.C., in loving and desperately loveless homes, on antebellum plantations, in prison. The 14 tales in his All Aunt Hagar’s Children are substantial and populous, explicitly concerned with the ever-pertinent question: How do we balance duty to others with our own needs? The feckless 24-year-old narrator of the masterful title story spends his days dodging a bitter ex-girlfriend and daydreaming about hunting for gold in Alaska. He is ”just starting to dance away on the easy side — a little soft-shoe here, a little soft-shoe there,” avoiding all claims on his time. Then an immigrant woman dies in front of him on the street, and his mother’s childhood friend asks him to help find her son’s murderer. In this rambling, earthy whodunit, Jones weaves together three plotlines, a handful of backstories, a dozen characters, and a portrait of a young man on the brink of maturity. It’s more than you get from most novels.
All Aunt Hagar's ChildrenIn his muscular, reality-based fiction, Edward P. Jones chronicles the African-American experience — on the streets of Washington, D.C., in loving...All Aunt Hagar's ChildrenShort Stories, FictionEdward P. JonesIn his muscular, reality-based fiction, Edward P. Jones chronicles the African-American experience — on the streets of Washington, D.C., in loving...2006-08-30Amistad
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: Edward P. Jones; Publisher: Amistad
Posted August 30 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!