With the film version of James Ellroy’s The Black Dahlia opening on Sept. 15, now’s the time to check out the gruesome true-crime story as it was initially reported, thanks to the Los Angeles Times, which has posted its archive of contemporaneous articles about the case online here. I’m a little leery of this film, not for the gore factor, but because the actors – Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johansson (pictured) and Hilary Swank – look like kids playing dress-up in 1940s clothes. Even The L Word’s Mia Kirshner, the 31-year-old actress who plays the unfortunate victim, looks like a little girl compared to the real Elizabeth Short, who was just 22 when she died. So I’m crossing my fingers and hoping that director Brian De Palma can pull this one off. After all, if anyone can do homicidal kink, it’s the guy who made Femme Fatale, Body Double, and Dressed to Kill.
Posted January 18 2015 — 7:47 AM EST
- Jay Z on epic Tidal rlaunch: 'We're in this for the right reasons'
- Marilynne Robinson expanding Gilead trilogy: 'People should be prepared to say 'quartet''
- Our perfect 'The Wiz' cast features Broadway stars and Crazy Eyes
- Rolling Stones to tour U.S., reissue 'Sticky Fingers'
- See Martha Stewart, Ron Burgundy and more show up to Justin Bieber roast
- Justified: Watch Raylan's 10 all-time best showdowns
- My Morning Jacket releases spacey "Spring (Among The Living)," second track off upcoming album
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!