With the film version of James Ellroy’s The Black Dahlia opening on Sept. 15, now’s the time to check out the gruesome true-crime story as it was initially reported, thanks to the Los Angeles Times, which has posted its archive of contemporaneous articles about the case online here. I’m a little leery of this film, not for the gore factor, but because the actors – Josh Hartnett and Scarlett Johansson (pictured) and Hilary Swank – look like kids playing dress-up in 1940s clothes. Even The L Word’s Mia Kirshner, the 31-year-old actress who plays the unfortunate victim, looks like a little girl compared to the real Elizabeth Short, who was just 22 when she died. So I’m crossing my fingers and hoping that director Brian De Palma can pull this one off. After all, if anyone can do homicidal kink, it’s the guy who made Femme Fatale, Body Double, and Dressed to Kill.
Posted August 30 2006 — 10:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!