Not many animals are more emotive than collies: those anxious eyes, the long face, that occasional humanoid smile. This is why Lassie is a legend. And Lassie, a franchise reboot more successful (to my eye) than Batman Begins, is about as good as a Lassie movie can be. Taking after the original 1940 novel, the film’s set in pre-WWII Britain, and Lassie, sold because times are tough, must travel a picaresque 500 miles to return home to little Joe (Jonathan Mason). Maybe I’m a sucker for dogs, but my eyes welled up. Twice. Woof!
Genre: Kids and Family, Action/Adventure; Starring: Samantha Morton, Peter O'Toole, Robert Carr, Peter Dinklage; Director: Charles Sturridge; Author: Charles Sturridge; Release Date Wide: 09/01/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted August 30 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan exchange comic haymakers in 'Top Five' outtakes
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!