Not many animals are more emotive than collies: those anxious eyes, the long face, that occasional humanoid smile. This is why Lassie is a legend. And Lassie, a franchise reboot more successful (to my eye) than Batman Begins, is about as good as a Lassie movie can be. Taking after the original 1940 novel, the film’s set in pre-WWII Britain, and Lassie, sold because times are tough, must travel a picaresque 500 miles to return home to little Joe (Jonathan Mason). Maybe I’m a sucker for dogs, but my eyes welled up. Twice. Woof!
Genre: Kids and Family, Action/Adventure; Starring: Samantha Morton, Peter O'Toole, Robert Carr, Peter Dinklage; Director: Charles Sturridge; Author: Charles Sturridge; Release Date Wide: 09/01/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!