Not many animals are more emotive than collies: those anxious eyes, the long face, that occasional humanoid smile. This is why Lassie is a legend. And Lassie, a franchise reboot more successful (to my eye) than Batman Begins, is about as good as a Lassie movie can be. Taking after the original 1940 novel, the film’s set in pre-WWII Britain, and Lassie, sold because times are tough, must travel a picaresque 500 miles to return home to little Joe (Jonathan Mason). Maybe I’m a sucker for dogs, but my eyes welled up. Twice. Woof!
Genre: Kids and Family, Action/Adventure; Starring: Samantha Morton, Peter O'Toole, Robert Carr, Peter Dinklage; Director: Charles Sturridge; Author: Charles Sturridge; Release Date Wide: 09/01/2006; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Roadside Attractions
Posted August 30 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stephen Colbert meets Mitt Romney in new 'Late Show' promo
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series delves into Star-Lord's origins
- Listen to this gorgeous harp cover of Taylor Swift’s ‘Style’
- See Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara handle awkward 'Fantastic Four' interview
- Lady Gaga gave Tony Bennett an enormous cake for his 89th birthday
- See Olivia Munn show off some serious Psylocke fighting skills
- Patrick Stewart really, really wants to join Taylor Swift’s squad
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!