On his eighth solo album, Coming Home, Richie collaborates with producers who are young enough to be his kids — Dallas Austin, Jermaine Dupri, Raphael Saadiq — in a bid to update his quiet-storm sound for modern R&B ears. The move pays off, as Richie’s silky voice glides through tracks like the throbbing, bongo-laden house workout ”All Around the World” and the blippy R&B single ”I Call It Love.” But dentists of America, don’t fret: The ’80s soft-pop titan hedges his bets by also including plenty of his trademark banal ballads.
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Lionel Richie; Producer (group): Island
Posted September 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother' single: Hear it here
- Disney Junior to intro Elena of Avalor, its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters