In Jet Li’s Fearless, which is supposedly Jet Li’s goodbye to the patented Jet Li martial arts spectacular, he plays Huo Yuanjin, the real-life Chinese cultural hero of the late Qing dynasty era who started up a still-thriving martial-arts school in Shanghai. And yes, the movie feels more like a stilted, reverential biopic than a chop-socky ass-kicking extravanganza. Every so often there is a hand-to-hand fight scene to cut the boredom — the best is set atop a precipitously high wooden tower in a village square — but even these don’t set themselves apart from anything we’ve seen before.
(Jet Li's Fearless: Chen Jinquan)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Jet Li, Nakamura Shidon; Director: Ronny Yu; Author: Chris Chow, Christine To; Release Date Wide: 09/22/2006; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Rogue Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Sacha Baron Cohen to write, direct, produce, and star in Freddy Mercury biopic
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- 'Daily Show': Trevor Noah's name floats as possible host; get a quick intro to his work
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Kate Mara, Sienna Miller & More!