In Jet Li’s Fearless, which is supposedly Jet Li’s goodbye to the patented Jet Li martial arts spectacular, he plays Huo Yuanjin, the real-life Chinese cultural hero of the late Qing dynasty era who started up a still-thriving martial-arts school in Shanghai. And yes, the movie feels more like a stilted, reverential biopic than a chop-socky ass-kicking extravanganza. Every so often there is a hand-to-hand fight scene to cut the boredom — the best is set atop a precipitously high wooden tower in a village square — but even these don’t set themselves apart from anything we’ve seen before.
(Jet Li's Fearless: Chen Jinquan)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Jet Li, Nakamura Shidon; Director: Ronny Yu; Author: Chris Chow, Christine To; Release Date Wide: 09/22/2006; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Rogue Pictures
Posted September 20 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 7 first-listen highlights from Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo'
- See Justin Timberlake dance 'The Carlton' with Alfonso Ribeiro
- 'Ghostbusters' teaser shows first footage, announces trailer date
- See Jennifer Lawrence rock out at Adele's Los Angeles concert
- Ryan Reynolds helps young 'Deadpool' fan battling cancer
- See Leslie Jones describe her perfect man on 'SNL'
- 'Spotlight,' 'Mad Men,' 'The Big Short' win big at WGA Awards