In Jet Li’s Fearless, which is supposedly Jet Li’s goodbye to the patented Jet Li martial arts spectacular, he plays Huo Yuanjin, the real-life Chinese cultural hero of the late Qing dynasty era who started up a still-thriving martial-arts school in Shanghai. And yes, the movie feels more like a stilted, reverential biopic than a chop-socky ass-kicking extravanganza. Every so often there is a hand-to-hand fight scene to cut the boredom — the best is set atop a precipitously high wooden tower in a village square — but even these don’t set themselves apart from anything we’ve seen before.
(Jet Li's Fearless: Chen Jinquan)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Jet Li, Nakamura Shidon; Director: Ronny Yu; Author: Chris Chow, Christine To; Release Date Wide: 09/22/2006; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Rogue Pictures
Posted September 20 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Meryl Streep: Hillary Clinton will be first female president
- Hillary Clinton shares empowering message for young girls
- Howard Dean reprises his famous 'Dean Scream' moment during DNC
- Chiwetel Ejiofor in talks to join Robert Redford in 'Come Sunday'
- Lena Dunham, America Ferrera slam Donald Trump at DNC
- Mothers of slain black youth deliver powerful speeches at DNC
- Jessica Chastain in talks to join Jake Gyllenhaal's 'The Division'