In Jet Li’s Fearless, which is supposedly Jet Li’s goodbye to the patented Jet Li martial arts spectacular, he plays Huo Yuanjin, the real-life Chinese cultural hero of the late Qing dynasty era who started up a still-thriving martial-arts school in Shanghai. And yes, the movie feels more like a stilted, reverential biopic than a chop-socky ass-kicking extravanganza. Every so often there is a hand-to-hand fight scene to cut the boredom — the best is set atop a precipitously high wooden tower in a village square — but even these don’t set themselves apart from anything we’ve seen before.
(Jet Li's Fearless: Chen Jinquan)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Jet Li, Nakamura Shidon; Director: Ronny Yu; Author: Chris Chow, Christine To; Release Date Wide: 09/22/2006; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Rogue Pictures
Posted September 20 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Britney Spears dance to Adele's 'Hello'
- Box office report: 'Mockingjay' tops Thanksgiving weekend
- Jennifer Lawrence will keep working with David O. Russell until he dies
- Zoe Saldana goes green (again) for 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Chelsea Peretti and Jordan Peele are engaged
- Adele’s '25' smashes records with first-week album sales
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity