She’s no Mary Poppins: Maggie Smith is more like a cheery Angel of Death in the light black comedy Keeping Mum, one of those dutifully daft British diddles (complete with Rowan Atkinson as a vicar) that, except for the blunt sex talk, might have been constructed decades ago. Dame Maggie is waggish as a mad housekeeper who finds final solutions to one family’s domestic problems, and it’s fun to watch swanlike Kristin Scott Thomas pretend to be a frumpy vicar’s wife. As a lecherous American golf pro, Patrick Swayze flashes sculpted abs — because he can.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Rowan Atkinson, Maggie Smith, Kristin Scott-Thomas; Director: Niall Johnson; Author: Niall Johnson, Richard Russo; Release Date Limited: 09/15/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted September 20 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Atlas Genius booked their fantasy festival and made us a playlist for it
- Four reasons 'Straight Outta Compton' made N.W.A the Boyz of summer
- Grace Helbig and Tyler Oakley tapped to host 2015 Streamy Awards
- Miley Cyrus: Donald Trump 'loved' twerking performance at 2013 VMAs
- 6 new tracks we loved this week
- 'The Blacklist': Check out Liz's new look in exclusive first trailer
- 'Limitless' stages 'Dexter' reunion
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!