In Paint It Black, the follow-up to her smash debut, 1999’s Oprah-anointed best-seller White Oleander, Janet Fitch goes into L.A.’s early-’80s drug-soaked punk-rock scene. Josie is a run-down, bleach-blond art school model, reeling from her painter boyfriend’s suicide: ”How precarious life seemed. You were only tethered to it by a hair, and all these people sawing away at it.” Her partner in grief, and a more interesting character, is her boyfriend’s viciously narcissistic mom, a famous pianist. The two lash at each other’s jugulars, their shared misery both a balm and a repellent. Would that Fitch had left the little punk to her vodka and speed, and zeroed in on the wicked older woman.
Paint It BlackIn Paint It Black, the follow-up to her smash debut, 1999's Oprah-anointed best-seller White Oleander, Janet Fitch goes into L.A...Paint It BlackFictionJanet FitchIn Paint It Black, the follow-up to her smash debut, 1999's Oprah-anointed best-seller White Oleander, Janet Fitch goes into L.A...2006-09-20Little Brown & Company
Genre: Fiction; Author: Janet Fitch; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- What we're reading now: Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin
- Trevor Noah eyed as 'Daily Show' host?
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller Kate & Kate and More!