In Paint It Black, the follow-up to her smash debut, 1999’s Oprah-anointed best-seller White Oleander, Janet Fitch goes into L.A.’s early-’80s drug-soaked punk-rock scene. Josie is a run-down, bleach-blond art school model, reeling from her painter boyfriend’s suicide: ”How precarious life seemed. You were only tethered to it by a hair, and all these people sawing away at it.” Her partner in grief, and a more interesting character, is her boyfriend’s viciously narcissistic mom, a famous pianist. The two lash at each other’s jugulars, their shared misery both a balm and a repellent. Would that Fitch had left the little punk to her vodka and speed, and zeroed in on the wicked older woman.
Paint It BlackIn Paint It Black, the follow-up to her smash debut, 1999's Oprah-anointed best-seller White Oleander, Janet Fitch goes into L.A...Paint It BlackFictionJanet FitchIn Paint It Black, the follow-up to her smash debut, 1999's Oprah-anointed best-seller White Oleander, Janet Fitch goes into L.A...2006-09-20Little Brown & Company
Genre: Fiction; Author: Janet Fitch; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted September 20 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama to appear on 'Full Frontal with Samantha Bee'
- The CW unveils its holiday specials lineup
- 'Two and a Half Men' star Angus T. Jones: 'I got pretty doomsday'
- 'The Flash' first look: Time to meet Caitlin Snow's mom!
- Stephen Colbert teases election night special in sultry promo
- 'PLL' showrunner pens emotional note on final day of filming
- 'Pitch': How Kevin Connolly's debut will shake up the Padres
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like