In Paint It Black, the follow-up to her smash debut, 1999’s Oprah-anointed best-seller White Oleander, Janet Fitch goes into L.A.’s early-’80s drug-soaked punk-rock scene. Josie is a run-down, bleach-blond art school model, reeling from her painter boyfriend’s suicide: ”How precarious life seemed. You were only tethered to it by a hair, and all these people sawing away at it.” Her partner in grief, and a more interesting character, is her boyfriend’s viciously narcissistic mom, a famous pianist. The two lash at each other’s jugulars, their shared misery both a balm and a repellent. Would that Fitch had left the little punk to her vodka and speed, and zeroed in on the wicked older woman.
Paint It BlackIn Paint It Black, the follow-up to her smash debut, 1999's Oprah-anointed best-seller White Oleander, Janet Fitch goes into L.A...Paint It BlackFictionJanet FitchIn Paint It Black, the follow-up to her smash debut, 1999's Oprah-anointed best-seller White Oleander, Janet Fitch goes into L.A...2006-09-20Little Brown & Company
Genre: Fiction; Author: Janet Fitch; Publisher: Little Brown & Company
Posted September 20 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jack Black wants to tell you a story in the new 'Goosebumps' trailer
- Wes Craven's 5 most terrifying scenes
- Andrew Garfield compares making 'Spider-Man' movies to 'canning Coke'
- 'Under the Dome' will end this season
- Maisie Williams accepts Guinness World Record on behalf of 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Gotham' sneak peek: Barbara and Jerome cross paths in Arkham
- Uber offering free 'Mad Max: Fury Road'-themed rides in Seattle
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!