Even in the domineering stilettos and restricting corsets for which she is best remembered, Bettie Page gave off a dimpled sweetness. As a model, she had one high heel planted in the world of bubbly pinups and the other in the only-whispered-about fetish underground. Gretchen Mol, in the title role, gives an outstanding performance in director Mary Harron’s biopic. Working mostly in black and white, interspersed with some color scenes, Harron and Guinevere Turner (who co-wrote The Notorious Bettie Page with Harron) give the film a documentary feel, and place Page in the larger landscape of 1950s sexuality, New York City police raids, and the Kefauver U.S. Senate hearings on juvenile delinquency. One need only look at the extra ”Presenting Bettie Page,” an archival silent short of the real Page doing a striptease, to see how adeptly Mol captures the ingenuousness of Page’s mannerisms. The title of a making-of featurette promises ”An Inside Look at the Pin-Up Queen of the Universe,” yet doesn’t offer a single photograph of the real Bettie Page. However, despite this oversight, Harron and Turner’s intelligent commentary on the continued relevance of its larger issues, such as censorship, government investigations, and artistic freedom, provides this pretty picture with its point of view and force.
Genre: Biography; Starring: Gretchen Mol, David Strathairn, Lili Taylor; Director: Mary Harron; Author: Mary Harron; Release Date Limited: 04/14/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Picturehouse
Posted September 22 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: Leona Lewis sings in 'Cats' Broadway revival montage
- Julia Roberts on Garry Marshall: I was lucky 'to have been loved by him'
- Netflix explains why they didn't rescue 'Agent Carter'
- WATCH: Jimmy Kimmel joins the 'Mr. Robot' team
- Will Smith raps 'Miami' at 'Suicide Squad' block party
- What to Watch: A cappella teams fight it out on 'Sing It On'
- 'American Horror Story' teasers released on Snapchat
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels