The gods of cool appear to have kissed Dito Montiel’s fingertips. First a street punk, then a downtown N.Y. hipster and musician, then a Sundance cat — now the first-time director has adapted A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, his memoir about growing up in ungentrified 1980s Queens, into something kinda fictional, kinda loose, and made a damn interesting piece. He also got Robert Downey Jr. to star as the grown-up ”Dito Montiel” and the lavishly talented Shia LaBeouf to play young Dito. This gallantly imperfect indie pops with attitude.
(Guide to Recognizing Your Saints: Walter Thompson)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Rosario Dawson, Robert Downey Jr., Shia LaBeouf, Chazz Palminteri, Eric Roberts, Channing Tatum, Dianne Wiest; Director: Dito Montiel; Author: Dito Montiel; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Look
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Mariah Carey's new single is the best '90s throwback of the day
- Daytime Emmys 2015 winners are...
- 'Game of Thrones': Kit Harington on Jon's brutal decision
- 'Game of Thrones' team explains their choices on Sansa's story
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron': $200+M so far
- Jay Z on Tidal: 'We aren't perfect, but we are determined'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' fans launch petition to bring McDreamy back