The gods of cool appear to have kissed Dito Montiel’s fingertips. First a street punk, then a downtown N.Y. hipster and musician, then a Sundance cat — now the first-time director has adapted A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, his memoir about growing up in ungentrified 1980s Queens, into something kinda fictional, kinda loose, and made a damn interesting piece. He also got Robert Downey Jr. to star as the grown-up ”Dito Montiel” and the lavishly talented Shia LaBeouf to play young Dito. This gallantly imperfect indie pops with attitude.
(Guide to Recognizing Your Saints: Walter Thompson)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Rosario Dawson, Robert Downey Jr., Shia LaBeouf, Chazz Palminteri, Eric Roberts, Channing Tatum, Dianne Wiest; Director: Dito Montiel; Author: Dito Montiel; Release Date Limited: 09/29/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Look
Posted September 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel