The gods of cool appear to have kissed Dito Montiel’s fingertips. First a street punk, then a downtown N.Y. hipster and musician, then a Sundance cat — now the first-time director has adapted A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, his memoir about growing up in ungentrified 1980s Queens, into something kinda fictional, kinda loose, and made a damn interesting piece. He also got Robert Downey Jr. to star as the grown-up ”Dito Montiel” and the lavishly talented Shia LaBeouf to play young Dito. This gallantly imperfect indie pops with attitude.
(Guide to Recognizing Your Saints: Walter Thompson)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Rosario Dawson, Robert Downey Jr., Shia LaBeouf, Chazz Palminteri, Eric Roberts, Channing Tatum, Dianne Wiest; Director: Dito Montiel; Author: Dito Montiel; Release Date Limited: 09/29/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Look
Posted September 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ryan Lochte is 'Drunk Frat Boy' in parody song of Rio robbery apology
- Fox News host calls Red Hot Chili Peppers 'worst band on the planet'
- Bella Thorne comes out as bisexual
- 'Dead of Summer' unveils killer Amy twist
- Former Miss Universe becomes U.S. citizen to vote against Donald Trump
- 'Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders' trailer: Vintage villains are back
- Amy Schumer met Beyoncé at the Met Gala, but still left early