The gods of cool appear to have kissed Dito Montiel’s fingertips. First a street punk, then a downtown N.Y. hipster and musician, then a Sundance cat — now the first-time director has adapted A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, his memoir about growing up in ungentrified 1980s Queens, into something kinda fictional, kinda loose, and made a damn interesting piece. He also got Robert Downey Jr. to star as the grown-up ”Dito Montiel” and the lavishly talented Shia LaBeouf to play young Dito. This gallantly imperfect indie pops with attitude.
(Guide to Recognizing Your Saints: Walter Thompson)
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Rosario Dawson, Robert Downey Jr., Shia LaBeouf, Chazz Palminteri, Eric Roberts, Channing Tatum, Dianne Wiest; Director: Dito Montiel; Author: Dito Montiel; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: First Look
Posted September 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Look, but don't retouch? What our female celeb photo fascination says about us
- Chris Rock and Tracy Morgan exchange comic haymakers in 'Top Five' outtakes
- 'Sex Box' react: Enclosed encounters of the absurd kind
- Buffy season 8 recap: 'No Future for You'/'Wolves at the Gate'
- Jennifer Lawrence vs. 'tabloid malarkey'
- 'Parks and Recreation': On the set for the last day of filming
- '12 Monkeys' boss on Cole's fate (Spoiler Alert!)