Three minutes into the Hold Steady’s third record, singer-shouter Craig Finn has cataloged all his daunting topical tropes — dead poets, Christianity, promiscuity, substance abuse, the Twin Cities — over a background of soaring heartland rock. But Boys and Girls in America isn’t just noir karaoke and E Street shuffle: ”First Night,” delicately adorned with steel guitars, achieves an NPR-ready Americana, and, on several tracks, the swirls of organ they’ve added to their hyperliterate stomping suggest Deep Purple with a library card.
Boys and Girls in America Three minutes into the Hold Steady's third record, singer-shouter Craig Finn has cataloged all his daunting topical tropes — dead poets, ...Boys and Girls in AmericaRock Three minutes into the Hold Steady's third record, singer-shouter Craig Finn has cataloged all his daunting topical tropes — dead poets, ...2006-09-29
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Vagrant
Posted September 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!