Three minutes into the Hold Steady’s third record, singer-shouter Craig Finn has cataloged all his daunting topical tropes — dead poets, Christianity, promiscuity, substance abuse, the Twin Cities — over a background of soaring heartland rock. But Boys and Girls in America isn’t just noir karaoke and E Street shuffle: ”First Night,” delicately adorned with steel guitars, achieves an NPR-ready Americana, and, on several tracks, the swirls of organ they’ve added to their hyperliterate stomping suggest Deep Purple with a library card.
Boys and Girls in America Three minutes into the Hold Steady's third record, singer-shouter Craig Finn has cataloged all his daunting topical tropes — dead poets, ...Boys and Girls in AmericaRock Three minutes into the Hold Steady's third record, singer-shouter Craig Finn has cataloged all his daunting topical tropes — dead poets, ...2006-09-29
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Vagrant
Posted September 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart almost joined Taylor Swift on tour
- 'We Are Your Friends' had one of the worst openings in history
- Details on the 'AHS: Hotel' Halloween episodes with Lily Rabe and Darren Criss
- 'Hannibal' finale review: A perversely romantic, totally satisfying last supper
- Caitlyn Jenner on the realities of dating as a transgender woman
- See how 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' created 'The Twins'
- Nick Jonas passionately lip-synced to ‘Let It Go’ at Demi Lovato’s pre-VMAs concert
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!