Three minutes into the Hold Steady’s third record, singer-shouter Craig Finn has cataloged all his daunting topical tropes — dead poets, Christianity, promiscuity, substance abuse, the Twin Cities — over a background of soaring heartland rock. But Boys and Girls in America isn’t just noir karaoke and E Street shuffle: ”First Night,” delicately adorned with steel guitars, achieves an NPR-ready Americana, and, on several tracks, the swirls of organ they’ve added to their hyperliterate stomping suggest Deep Purple with a library card.
Boys and Girls in America Three minutes into the Hold Steady's third record, singer-shouter Craig Finn has cataloged all his daunting topical tropes — dead poets, ...Boys and Girls in AmericaRock Three minutes into the Hold Steady's third record, singer-shouter Craig Finn has cataloged all his daunting topical tropes — dead poets, ...2006-09-29
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Vagrant
Posted September 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cameron Dallas takes fans inside MAGCON in 'Chasing Cameron' trailer
- How Mike Birbiglia got President Obama to say 'poo'
- Pauley Perrette opens up about her recovery 1 year after attack
- 'Vampire Diaries': EP reveals one character was originally a succubus
- Abrams Books ceases publication of 'Bad Little Children's Books'
- The cast of 'Hairspray Live!' reveals bizarre pre-show rituals
- Lady Gaga reveals PTSD struggle during visit to LGBT homeless shelter
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners