This Oregon quintet’s major-label debut, The Crane Wife, refuses to relinquish the quirks of their three justly praised indie LPs. Songwriter Colin Meloy specializes in lurid historical dramas; here he bookends short scenes in that vein with two longer tales and leads the folk-oriented band on successful excursions into styles including keyboard-based prog. The jarring faux-metal riffage of ”When the War Came” exposes Meloy’s limits, but several of these studies in heartbreak and homicide rank among his most moving.
The Crane Wife This Oregon quintet's major-label debut, The Crane Wife, refuses to relinquish the quirks of their three justly praised indie LPs....The Crane WifeIndie Rock This Oregon quintet's major-label debut, The Crane Wife, refuses to relinquish the quirks of their three justly praised indie LPs....2006-09-29
Genre: Indie Rock; Producer (group): Capitol
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Casting Net: 'Revenge' star Emily VanCamp returns for 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Jennifer Love Hewitt not returning to 'Criminal Minds': EW exclusive
- 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' and 'Barbershop 3' given 2016 release dates
- 'Mindy Project' axed at Fox; hope at Hulu?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Julie Plec on how to make the perfect finale (when Nina Dobrev is leaving)
- 'Last Man Standing' replaces showrunner
- Free Comic Book Day: 15 superhero must-reads
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- Chrissy & John, Reese Witherspoon, Charles Esten & More!