This Oregon quintet’s major-label debut, The Crane Wife, refuses to relinquish the quirks of their three justly praised indie LPs. Songwriter Colin Meloy specializes in lurid historical dramas; here he bookends short scenes in that vein with two longer tales and leads the folk-oriented band on successful excursions into styles including keyboard-based prog. The jarring faux-metal riffage of ”When the War Came” exposes Meloy’s limits, but several of these studies in heartbreak and homicide rank among his most moving.
The Crane Wife This Oregon quintet's major-label debut, The Crane Wife, refuses to relinquish the quirks of their three justly praised indie LPs....The Crane WifeIndie Rock This Oregon quintet's major-label debut, The Crane Wife, refuses to relinquish the quirks of their three justly praised indie LPs....2006-09-29
Genre: Indie Rock; Producer (group): Capitol
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!