Simple, soulful, and street-smart, Cope’s third disc, Every Waking Moment, is buttressed by his usual array of churchy organ riffs and gentle hip-hop beats. The difference is that the raspy-voiced singer (born Clarence Greenwood) is more introspective, abandoning the offbeat characters (mostly hustlers and underdogs) who often inhabit his songs. It’s a refreshing change, resulting in a personal CD that jumps between ballads (”Somehow”), romantic grooves (”More Than It Seems”), and weary observations (”Friendly Fire”). Cope’s rough edges may keep him from blowing up, but that gritty charm is actually his finest asset.
Every Waking Moment Simple, soulful, and street-smart, Cope's third disc, Every Waking Moment, is buttressed by his usual array of churchy organ riffs and...Every Waking MomentPop Simple, soulful, and street-smart, Cope's third disc, Every Waking Moment, is buttressed by his usual array of churchy organ riffs and...2006-09-29
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Citizen Cope; Producer (group): RCA
Posted September 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- Director John Carpenter pays tribute to the late Wes Craven
- Read Kanye West's epic VMAs speech in full
- Hollywood pays tribute to horror master Wes Craven
- Nicki Minaj's Miley Cyrus VMAs moment were not staged
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!