Simple, soulful, and street-smart, Cope’s third disc, Every Waking Moment, is buttressed by his usual array of churchy organ riffs and gentle hip-hop beats. The difference is that the raspy-voiced singer (born Clarence Greenwood) is more introspective, abandoning the offbeat characters (mostly hustlers and underdogs) who often inhabit his songs. It’s a refreshing change, resulting in a personal CD that jumps between ballads (”Somehow”), romantic grooves (”More Than It Seems”), and weary observations (”Friendly Fire”). Cope’s rough edges may keep him from blowing up, but that gritty charm is actually his finest asset.
Every Waking Moment Simple, soulful, and street-smart, Cope's third disc, Every Waking Moment, is buttressed by his usual array of churchy organ riffs and...Every Waking MomentPop Simple, soulful, and street-smart, Cope's third disc, Every Waking Moment, is buttressed by his usual array of churchy organ riffs and...2006-09-29
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Citizen Cope; Producer (group): RCA
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- James Bond enters a 'hurricane' in first 'Spectre' teaser
- 'Legend of Zelda' for Wii U delayed
- Kit Harington fights terrorism in 'Spooks: The Greater Good' trailer
- Billie Joe Armstrong musical 'These Paper Bullets!' coming to LA, NYC
- 'It Follows': The story behind the score
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!