Simple, soulful, and street-smart, Cope’s third disc, Every Waking Moment, is buttressed by his usual array of churchy organ riffs and gentle hip-hop beats. The difference is that the raspy-voiced singer (born Clarence Greenwood) is more introspective, abandoning the offbeat characters (mostly hustlers and underdogs) who often inhabit his songs. It’s a refreshing change, resulting in a personal CD that jumps between ballads (”Somehow”), romantic grooves (”More Than It Seems”), and weary observations (”Friendly Fire”). Cope’s rough edges may keep him from blowing up, but that gritty charm is actually his finest asset.
Every Waking Moment Simple, soulful, and street-smart, Cope's third disc, Every Waking Moment, is buttressed by his usual array of churchy organ riffs and...Every Waking MomentPop Simple, soulful, and street-smart, Cope's third disc, Every Waking Moment, is buttressed by his usual array of churchy organ riffs and...2006-09-29
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Citizen Cope; Producer (group): RCA
Posted September 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stan Lee attends 'Ant-Man' premiere
- Casting Net: Radcliffe and Dano lead 'Swiss Army Man' cast
- AC/DC near streaming deals?
- Jack Carter, comedian-actor, dies at 93
- NeNe Leakes exiting 'Real Housewives'
- 'Star Trek' title confirmed: Justin Lin shares first photo from 'Beyond'
- 'Ghostbusters' uniform: Paul Feig tweets first look
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: New EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Rita Ora, Matthew, Darren & Jennifer, Brandy & More!