Growing up in Albany, N.Y., in the 1960s and ’70s, Isadora ”Isa” Myung Hee Sohn is caught between her Korean self and her American world, fumbling to make sense of them both. It’s a standard cross-cultural story, but in her debut novel, Katherine Min takes care not to slip into stereotype by admirably capturing the depth and complexity within Isa and her immigrant family. Isa’s adolescence unfolds in short chapters that read like impressionistic sketches — from the tragic loss of her brother to the realization of her parents’ fallibility to the sharp pangs of first love — that resonate strongly in Min’s quietly affecting Secondhand World.
Secondhand World Growing up in Albany, N.Y., in the 1960s and '70s, Isadora ''Isa'' Myung Hee Sohn is caught between her Korean self and her American world, fumbling to...Secondhand WorldFictionKatherine Min Growing up in Albany, N.Y., in the 1960s and '70s, Isadora ''Isa'' Myung Hee Sohn is caught between her Korean self and her American world, fumbling to...2006-09-29Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Katherine Min; Publisher: Knopf
Posted September 29 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!