Richard Powers’ new novel, a mad symphony on the fragility of human identity, begins when 27-year-old Mark Schluter crashes his truck on a rural Nebraska road. He awakens convinced that his sister Karin — a vulnerable woman, desperately attached to her only brother — is an imposter. Mark’s condition — Capgras syndrome — brings to town an Oliver Sacks-like neurologist, who, after the flop of his latest book, is beginning to question his own carefully cultivated identity. There’s far too much happening in The Echo Maker (an environmental kerfuffle, several romances, a mystery woman), but the chaotic novel is nonetheless one of the year’s most engrossing.
The Echo MakerRichard Powers' new novel, a mad symphony on the fragility of human identity, begins when 27-year-old Mark Schluter crashes his truck on a rural Nebraska...The Echo MakerFictionRichard PowersRichard Powers' new novel, a mad symphony on the fragility of human identity, begins when 27-year-old Mark Schluter crashes his truck on a rural Nebraska...2006-10-04Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Powers; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted October 4 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!