Richard Powers’ new novel, a mad symphony on the fragility of human identity, begins when 27-year-old Mark Schluter crashes his truck on a rural Nebraska road. He awakens convinced that his sister Karin — a vulnerable woman, desperately attached to her only brother — is an imposter. Mark’s condition — Capgras syndrome — brings to town an Oliver Sacks-like neurologist, who, after the flop of his latest book, is beginning to question his own carefully cultivated identity. There’s far too much happening in The Echo Maker (an environmental kerfuffle, several romances, a mystery woman), but the chaotic novel is nonetheless one of the year’s most engrossing.
The Echo MakerRichard Powers' new novel, a mad symphony on the fragility of human identity, begins when 27-year-old Mark Schluter crashes his truck on a rural Nebraska...The Echo MakerFictionRichard PowersRichard Powers' new novel, a mad symphony on the fragility of human identity, begins when 27-year-old Mark Schluter crashes his truck on a rural Nebraska...2006-10-04Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Powers; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted October 4 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!