Richard Powers’ new novel, a mad symphony on the fragility of human identity, begins when 27-year-old Mark Schluter crashes his truck on a rural Nebraska road. He awakens convinced that his sister Karin — a vulnerable woman, desperately attached to her only brother — is an imposter. Mark’s condition — Capgras syndrome — brings to town an Oliver Sacks-like neurologist, who, after the flop of his latest book, is beginning to question his own carefully cultivated identity. There’s far too much happening in The Echo Maker (an environmental kerfuffle, several romances, a mystery woman), but the chaotic novel is nonetheless one of the year’s most engrossing.
The Echo MakerRichard Powers' new novel, a mad symphony on the fragility of human identity, begins when 27-year-old Mark Schluter crashes his truck on a rural Nebraska...The Echo MakerFictionRichard PowersRichard Powers' new novel, a mad symphony on the fragility of human identity, begins when 27-year-old Mark Schluter crashes his truck on a rural Nebraska...2006-10-04Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Powers; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' earns $187.7 million in opening weekend
- Spice Girls reunite at David Beckham's birthday
- 'Dances With Wolves' writer Michael Blake dies
- Jamie Foxx's National Anthem at Mayweather-Pacquiao fight: You be the judge
- 'Orphan Black' bosses on 'an interesting revelation for us'
- 'SNL': How'd Scarlett Johansson and Wiz Khalifa do?
- 'Scandal' panel: 5 best moments, season finale teases
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Kerry Washington, Plus Gwen Stefani, the Spelling-McDermott Family & More!