– Ghost Rider (Feb. 16, 2007): Over the summer, my colleague Scott Brown became obsessed with Ghost Rider (pictured), in particular, with its potential for ”funbadness.” And while the movie’s teaser left me cold, its latest trailer is beginning to give me a slight burning sensation (pun intended). Is this the mark of funbadness? I believe so. Just check out my five favorite guffaw-inducing quotes if you don’t believe me:
5. ”I could smell your fear,” snarls Blackheart (Wes Bentley). Fear, or the first bomb of ’07?
4. ”What’s going through your mind right now?” Eva Mendes (Roxanne) asks so blankly that it’s almost as if she’s compiling a grocery list in her mind. Meta!
3. ”Any man who sells his soul for love has the power to change the world.”
2. Nicolas Cage, staring into the mirror, offering words of encouragement: ”You deserve a second chance.” Is he speaking to himself, or his unfortunate hair piece?
1. ”His face was a skull and it was on fire.” ”On fire?” ”Like hkhkhkhkhhkk!”
– 300 (March 7, 2007) Whoa. Kind of the polar opposite of the Ghost Rider trailer, if you ask me. In other words, if that one says funbadness, the trailer for 300 (based on Frank Miller’s graphic novel) screams ”badassness” — in the most visually stimulating way possible.
– Alpha Dog(Jan.12, 2007) Perhaps just as dramatic as the preview for NickCassavetes’ latest, which was ”inspired by” true events, is thebehind-the-scenes wrangling that might stop it from reaching a theaternear you. (Check out Adam B. Vary’s recent EW article for the full scoop.) That said, the trailer seems to solve at least one mystery: It looks like Justin Timberlake can act.