What’s a bad sequel but a revenant soul doomed to repeat itself? The Grudge 2 broadens the reach of the Japanese curse that put Sarah Michelle Gellar’s doe-eyed gaijin in the hospital, but the scares are the same: the hair, the tub, the yowling cat-boy, etc. Once again, we’re treated to loosely aligned scenes of half-formed characters (including Amber Tamblyn as Gellar’s brittle sister, so slight the movie nearly forgets she’s there) getting a faceful of director Takashi Shimizu’s croaking, implacable, and, yes, still scary housewife-geist.
(Grudge 2: David Appleby)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Amber Tamblyn, Jennifer Beals; Director: Takashi Shimizu; Author: Stephen Susco; Release Date Wide: 10/13/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted October 18 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Jurassic World' exhibit will feature life-size animatronic dinosaurs
- Tiffany 'New York' Pollard is hosting a unique gay dating series
- Honest Trailers' take on 'Batman: The Killing Joke' is no laughing matter
- Tilda Swinton talks The Ancient One in 'Doctor Strange' sneak peek video
- J.K. Rowling saw Amy Schumer's stand-up show and loved it
- Adam Scott and Craig Robinson team up for paranormal comedy 'Ghosted'
- EW PopFest: Here's everything you need to know!