What’s a bad sequel but a revenant soul doomed to repeat itself? The Grudge 2 broadens the reach of the Japanese curse that put Sarah Michelle Gellar’s doe-eyed gaijin in the hospital, but the scares are the same: the hair, the tub, the yowling cat-boy, etc. Once again, we’re treated to loosely aligned scenes of half-formed characters (including Amber Tamblyn as Gellar’s brittle sister, so slight the movie nearly forgets she’s there) getting a faceful of director Takashi Shimizu’s croaking, implacable, and, yes, still scary housewife-geist.
(Grudge 2: David Appleby)
Genre: Horror; Starring: Sarah Michelle Gellar, Amber Tamblyn, Jennifer Beals; Director: Takashi Shimizu; Author: Stephen Susco; Release Date Wide: 10/13/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Columbia Pictures
Posted October 18 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Power Rangers': Lionsgate may make up to seven more films
- Dierks Bentley's new single is here, and features Elle King
- 'The Boxcar Children' series to become three animated films
- 'Game of Thrones': Hodor and Bran actors share 'Hold the Door' cake
- This Week’s Cover: Nick Jonas leads EW’s Summer Must Issue
- Tom Hanks, Miley Cyrus, Drake among guest stars on 'Maya & Marty'
- Chris Evans reacts to Captain America's Hydra plot twist