Growing up on Long Island, documentary filmmaker Doug Block (Home Page) thought he knew his parents Mike and Mina: a distant father, a close mother, a reliable, unremarkable, 54-year-old marriage that endured until Mina’s death at the age of 78 in 2002. No Capturing the Friedmans-style drama here. Then Mike reconnected with his old secretary, marrying her soon afterward, and while he packed up for a new life in Florida, the son picked up a camera, with some ambivalence, and focused his attention on learning more about the people who were the real Mike and Mina rather than Dad and Mom. 51 Birch Street, the surprisingly moving result, is a warm and honest portrait of a marriage at its most mysterious, and ordinary.
51 Birch StreetGrowing up on Long Island, documentary filmmaker Doug Block (Home Page) thought he knew his parents Mike and Mina: a distant father, a close...51 Birch StreetDocumentaryDoug Block, Amy SeplinPT88MUnratedGrowing up on Long Island, documentary filmmaker Doug Block (Home Page) thought he knew his parents Mike and Mina: a distant father, a close...2006-10-25Truly Indie
Genre: Documentary; Director: Doug Block; Author: Doug Block, Amy Seplin; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Truly Indie
Posted October 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!