Growing up on Long Island, documentary filmmaker Doug Block (Home Page) thought he knew his parents Mike and Mina: a distant father, a close mother, a reliable, unremarkable, 54-year-old marriage that endured until Mina’s death at the age of 78 in 2002. No Capturing the Friedmans-style drama here. Then Mike reconnected with his old secretary, marrying her soon afterward, and while he packed up for a new life in Florida, the son picked up a camera, with some ambivalence, and focused his attention on learning more about the people who were the real Mike and Mina rather than Dad and Mom. 51 Birch Street, the surprisingly moving result, is a warm and honest portrait of a marriage at its most mysterious, and ordinary.
51 Birch StreetGrowing up on Long Island, documentary filmmaker Doug Block (Home Page) thought he knew his parents Mike and Mina: a distant father, a close...51 Birch StreetDocumentaryDoug Block, Amy SeplinPT88MUnratedGrowing up on Long Island, documentary filmmaker Doug Block (Home Page) thought he knew his parents Mike and Mina: a distant father, a close...2006-10-25Truly Indie
Genre: Documentary; Director: Doug Block; Author: Doug Block, Amy Seplin; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Truly Indie
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake thanks mom, wife, and everyone who called him 'different' accepting iHeart Radio's Innovator Award
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time' tells Maleficent's child's story
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!