Climates begins in the summer warmth of western Turkey and ends in the wintry snow of the east — the shift is as metaphorical as it is meteorological in Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s exquisitely structured, pitiless study of a middle-aged man trapped in a stagnant emotional weather pattern. In his rejection of his younger girlfriend (Ebru Ceylan, the filmmaker’s wife), Isa (Ceylan himself) is a close cousin of the dour loners in the director’s previous film, Distant. But a rough sex scene between Isa and a sometime lover, shot in one long take and featuring a stray hazelnut, hints at a sense of humor about relationships as nutty as it is deadpan.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ebru Ceylan, Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Director: Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Author: Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Release Date Limited: 10/27/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted October 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Student Academy Award winners announced
- Lance Bass: Gay dating show will be 'more realistic' than 'The Bachelor'
- Gene Wilder: An appreciation
- Here's where you can watch Gene Wilder's best movies
- Alicia Silverstone, Mena Suvari Share 'American Woman' Photos
- 'Stranger Things' stars share adorable on-set photos
- Oops! VMAs ratings fall sharply