Climates begins in the summer warmth of western Turkey and ends in the wintry snow of the east — the shift is as metaphorical as it is meteorological in Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s exquisitely structured, pitiless study of a middle-aged man trapped in a stagnant emotional weather pattern. In his rejection of his younger girlfriend (Ebru Ceylan, the filmmaker’s wife), Isa (Ceylan himself) is a close cousin of the dour loners in the director’s previous film, Distant. But a rough sex scene between Isa and a sometime lover, shot in one long take and featuring a stray hazelnut, hints at a sense of humor about relationships as nutty as it is deadpan.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ebru Ceylan, Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Director: Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Author: Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Release Date Limited: 10/27/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted October 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lena Dunham's Lenny releases guide to reporting online harassment
- David Cross returns to the stage in new stand-up special trailer
- Chance the Rapper plots Chicago music fest featuring Skrillex
- Anne Rice announces 'Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis'
- 'American Crime Story' coming to Netflix in 2017
- Documentary about INXS singer Michael Hutchence is in the works
- 'Prison Break' clip shows the importance of a stick of gum
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels
- Comic-Con 2016: Get Batty With the Cast of 'The Walking Dead'