Climates begins in the summer warmth of western Turkey and ends in the wintry snow of the east — the shift is as metaphorical as it is meteorological in Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s exquisitely structured, pitiless study of a middle-aged man trapped in a stagnant emotional weather pattern. In his rejection of his younger girlfriend (Ebru Ceylan, the filmmaker’s wife), Isa (Ceylan himself) is a close cousin of the dour loners in the director’s previous film, Distant. But a rough sex scene between Isa and a sometime lover, shot in one long take and featuring a stray hazelnut, hints at a sense of humor about relationships as nutty as it is deadpan.
ClimatesClimates begins in the summer warmth of western Turkey and ends in the wintry snow of the east — the shift is as metaphorical as it...ClimatesDramaNuri Bilge CeylanPT101MUnratedClimates begins in the summer warmth of western Turkey and ends in the wintry snow of the east — the shift is as metaphorical as it...2006-10-25Zeitgeist Films
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ebru Ceylan, Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Director: Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Author: Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted October 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cameron Crowe apologizes for casting Emma Stone as an Asian-American in 'Aloha'
- Lifetime will air Will Ferrell, Kristen Wiig movie in June
- Casting Net: Jason Isaacs to play villain in Gore Verbinski's horror flick 'A Cure for Wellness'
- 'Stitchers' react: Ambitious premise loses its thread
- Jay Rock shares introspective 'Money Trees Deuce'
- 'Entourage' becomes next victim of 'Honest Trailers' treatment
- 'Paper Towns' trailer sets up the mystery of Margo