Climates begins in the summer warmth of western Turkey and ends in the wintry snow of the east — the shift is as metaphorical as it is meteorological in Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s exquisitely structured, pitiless study of a middle-aged man trapped in a stagnant emotional weather pattern. In his rejection of his younger girlfriend (Ebru Ceylan, the filmmaker’s wife), Isa (Ceylan himself) is a close cousin of the dour loners in the director’s previous film, Distant. But a rough sex scene between Isa and a sometime lover, shot in one long take and featuring a stray hazelnut, hints at a sense of humor about relationships as nutty as it is deadpan.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Ebru Ceylan, Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Director: Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Author: Nuri Bilge Ceylan; Release Date Limited: 10/27/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 101; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted October 25 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Behind Mark's surprising decision, and what's next
- The first 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer has arrived
- Adele performs 'Hello' with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and classroom instruments
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'
- Casting Net: Ryan Gosling eyed to play Neil Armstrong in biopic
- Trump rivals will get their equal air time on NBC stations