From the moment the lights dim, it’s clear comedian Judy Gold’s mother is going to be one of the highlights of this one-woman show. Mama Gold orders the audience — largely composed of Jewish senior citizens who laugh uproariously at any mention of Barbra Streisand and click their tongues at the word Holocaust — to turn off their cell phones and listen to her daughter Judith. For the next 80 minutes, Judy tells her life story (often via reenacted conversations with her mother), from figuring out she’s gay to the birth of her two sons with former partner Wendy. So where do the 25 questions come in? Occasionally and awkwardly. The answers, culled from years of interviews with Jewish women around the country — which Gold acts out — too often feel forced. Worse yet, they take precious time away from the remarkable Gold. And her relationship with her own mother is more interesting than all the other questions combined. (Tickets: Telecharge.com or 212-239-6200)
(Judy Gold: Carol Rosegg)
Starring: Judy Gold; Director: Karen Kohlhaas; Author: Judy Gold, Kate Moira Ryan; Opening Date: 10/12/2006
Posted October 26 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'AHS' star shines in exclusive 'My All-American' trailer
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- Deadmau5 says 'We Are Your Friends' flop restored his faith in music
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!