”I like the way you talk,” says Gus (Larry Keith), an aging widower, to his new love, Amanda (Penny Fuller). After spending 90 minutes in their company, we heartily agree. Eschewing the schmaltz that often accompanies such On Golden Pond-like shows, Kathleen Clark’s two-hander concerns the aforementioned duo: a set-in-his-ways retiree and a vibrant Southern belle, both recovering from the loss of their spouses, as they court in the former’s native New Jersey. While Clark’s writing tends toward sitcom slickness, film/stage luminary Judith Ivey directs with crisp efficiency, slowing the tempo to a naturalistic pace that brings out the best in its marvelous stars. Sincere, warm, and filled with poignant longing, Fuller and Keith wring the maximum worth from every moment and create the most pleasant of diversions…like a cool glass of iced tea on a hot summer’s day. (Tickets: Ticketcentral.com or 212-279-4200)
(Southern Comfort: James Leynse)
Starring: Penny Fuller, Larry Keith; Director: Judith Ivey; Author: Kathleen Clark; Opening Date: 10/18/2006
Posted October 26 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 1D's Liam Payne announces third single from 'Made in the A.M.'
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade