You reckon rodeoin’ is beer, bruises, and ”buckle bunnies” (the name for groupies). Well, you’re right. But like the steer wrestlers Ty Phillips tailed during the 2004 season — loud and proud fellas with nicknames like Fatty and Donkey — he knows how to tell a good story. One 11-page scene of tokin’, pokin’ debauchery aside, the lasting images are the quiet ones. ”Every minute or so, the distant headlights of a freeway car threw light on the lonesome silhouette of a cowboy walking his horse at night,” Phillips writes. He captures the solitude and camaraderie in Blacktop Cowboys, which runs deeper than an unattended cooler of Coors Light: Competitors even share scouting reports on steers.
Blacktop Cowboys You reckon rodeoin' is beer, bruises, and ''buckle bunnies'' (the name for groupies). Well, you're right. But like the steer wrestlers Ty Phillips ...Blacktop CowboysNonfictionTy Phillips You reckon rodeoin' is beer, bruises, and ''buckle bunnies'' (the name for groupies). Well, you're right. But like the steer wrestlers Ty Phillips ...2006-10-27Thomas Dunne Books
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Ty Phillips; Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Posted October 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Paris attacks: Le Bataclan to reopen before end of 2016
- 'Top Gear' unveils full lineup of hosts
- Jimmy Fallon unveiled his own Bernie Sanders impression last night
- Peyton Manning and Magic Johnson break eggs on their heads for Jimmy Fallon
- J.K. Rowling clarifies 'Cursed Child' book
- Penelope Cruz and Jimmy Fallon Dubsmash 'Frozen' song
- See 29 celebrities recite Justin Bieber's 'Sorry'
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday