You reckon rodeoin’ is beer, bruises, and ”buckle bunnies” (the name for groupies). Well, you’re right. But like the steer wrestlers Ty Phillips tailed during the 2004 season — loud and proud fellas with nicknames like Fatty and Donkey — he knows how to tell a good story. One 11-page scene of tokin’, pokin’ debauchery aside, the lasting images are the quiet ones. ”Every minute or so, the distant headlights of a freeway car threw light on the lonesome silhouette of a cowboy walking his horse at night,” Phillips writes. He captures the solitude and camaraderie in Blacktop Cowboys, which runs deeper than an unattended cooler of Coors Light: Competitors even share scouting reports on steers.
Blacktop Cowboys You reckon rodeoin' is beer, bruises, and ''buckle bunnies'' (the name for groupies). Well, you're right. But like the steer wrestlers Ty Phillips ...Blacktop CowboysNonfictionTy Phillips You reckon rodeoin' is beer, bruises, and ''buckle bunnies'' (the name for groupies). Well, you're right. But like the steer wrestlers Ty Phillips ...2006-10-27Thomas Dunne Books
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Ty Phillips; Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Posted October 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Obama to trek into wilderness with Bear Grylls
- Hulk Hogan breaks silence on racist rant, asks for forgiveness
- See a snippet of Queen Latifah's 19-year-old 'Bessie' screen test
- How Todrick Hall hopes to inspire others through his new show, 'Todrick'
- Here's how Jaden Smith reacted to Kanye's VMAs speech
- Jeff Probst reveals the players he's surprised got voted into 'Survivor'
- Michael Jordan's 'Space Jam' uniform heading for auction
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!