You reckon rodeoin’ is beer, bruises, and ”buckle bunnies” (the name for groupies). Well, you’re right. But like the steer wrestlers Ty Phillips tailed during the 2004 season — loud and proud fellas with nicknames like Fatty and Donkey — he knows how to tell a good story. One 11-page scene of tokin’, pokin’ debauchery aside, the lasting images are the quiet ones. ”Every minute or so, the distant headlights of a freeway car threw light on the lonesome silhouette of a cowboy walking his horse at night,” Phillips writes. He captures the solitude and camaraderie in Blacktop Cowboys, which runs deeper than an unattended cooler of Coors Light: Competitors even share scouting reports on steers.
Blacktop Cowboys You reckon rodeoin' is beer, bruises, and ''buckle bunnies'' (the name for groupies). Well, you're right. But like the steer wrestlers Ty Phillips ...Blacktop CowboysNonfictionTy Phillips You reckon rodeoin' is beer, bruises, and ''buckle bunnies'' (the name for groupies). Well, you're right. But like the steer wrestlers Ty Phillips ...2006-10-27Thomas Dunne Books
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Ty Phillips; Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Posted October 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Snoop Dogg calls for 'Roots' boycott in Instagram video
- Follow these stars while watching 'The Bachelorette'
- 'General Hospital': Kirsten Storms confirms break due to 'skin issues'
- Demi Lovato mourns great-grandmother's death in emotional tribute
- Adele calls out fan for filming her concert
- Drake holds steady for fourth week at No. 1 on Billboard 200
- 'Person of Interest' exclusive: Finch and Reese face old foe
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers