At a Scottish girls’ school in the 1930s, a young, unmarried teacher (Cynthia Nixon) builds a cult of personality around her frank sexuality and political idealism (if enthusiasm for Mussolini counts). But lead in this production of The Prime of Miss Brodie is miscast. Nixon, a Tony winner this year for Rabbit Hole, has no trouble commanding a stage. But she errs in aiming to humanize a role that needs to be larger than life for the drama to work. (Maggie Smith won an Oscar for the 1969 film.) Scott Elliott’s listless direction, including a gratuitous nude scene, certainly doesn’t help.
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie At a Scottish girls' school in the 1930s, a young, unmarried teacher (Cynthia Nixon) builds a cult of personality around her frank sexuality and...The Prime of Miss Jean BrodieMuriel Spark At a Scottish girls' school in the 1930s, a young, unmarried teacher (Cynthia Nixon) builds a cult of personality around her frank sexuality and...2006-10-27Lisa EmeryJohn Pankow
Starring: Cynthia Nixon; Starring: Lisa Emery, John Pankow; Director: Scott Elliott; Author: Muriel Spark
Posted October 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday