At a Scottish girls’ school in the 1930s, a young, unmarried teacher (Cynthia Nixon) builds a cult of personality around her frank sexuality and political idealism (if enthusiasm for Mussolini counts). But lead in this production of The Prime of Miss Brodie is miscast. Nixon, a Tony winner this year for Rabbit Hole, has no trouble commanding a stage. But she errs in aiming to humanize a role that needs to be larger than life for the drama to work. (Maggie Smith won an Oscar for the 1969 film.) Scott Elliott’s listless direction, including a gratuitous nude scene, certainly doesn’t help.
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie At a Scottish girls' school in the 1930s, a young, unmarried teacher (Cynthia Nixon) builds a cult of personality around her frank sexuality and...The Prime of Miss Jean BrodieMuriel Spark At a Scottish girls' school in the 1930s, a young, unmarried teacher (Cynthia Nixon) builds a cult of personality around her frank sexuality and...2006-10-27Lisa EmeryJohn Pankow
Starring: Cynthia Nixon; Starring: Lisa Emery, John Pankow; Director: Scott Elliott; Author: Muriel Spark
Posted October 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Democratic Party approves of Kanye West's presidential run
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!