At a Scottish girls’ school in the 1930s, a young, unmarried teacher (Cynthia Nixon) builds a cult of personality around her frank sexuality and political idealism (if enthusiasm for Mussolini counts). But lead in this production of The Prime of Miss Brodie is miscast. Nixon, a Tony winner this year for Rabbit Hole, has no trouble commanding a stage. But she errs in aiming to humanize a role that needs to be larger than life for the drama to work. (Maggie Smith won an Oscar for the 1969 film.) Scott Elliott’s listless direction, including a gratuitous nude scene, certainly doesn’t help.
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie At a Scottish girls' school in the 1930s, a young, unmarried teacher (Cynthia Nixon) builds a cult of personality around her frank sexuality and...The Prime of Miss Jean BrodieMuriel Spark At a Scottish girls' school in the 1930s, a young, unmarried teacher (Cynthia Nixon) builds a cult of personality around her frank sexuality and...2006-10-27Lisa EmeryJohn Pankow
Starring: Cynthia Nixon; Starring: Lisa Emery, John Pankow; Director: Scott Elliott; Author: Muriel Spark
Posted October 27 2006 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia Manzano's 7 favorite times from 44 years as Maria
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July boxoffice no picnic for Hollywood
- Michael Fassbender as the Dude for 'Big Lebowski' live read
- ESPN pulls golf tourney off Trump course
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!