America’s greatest living ballad singer is notoriously inconsistent — just listen to last year’s ghastly reggae experiment, Countryman. But Songbird, a collaboration with Ryan Adams (who produced and lent his backing band) is Willie Nelson’s finest in a decade. The sound is burly, surrounding his inimitable lilt with shuddering electric guitars. But the slow and stately stuff really sparkles, such as a weirdly menacing cover of ”Amazing Grace” and the new Nelson composition ”Back to Earth,” which proves the old troubadour can still write the best weepers around.
(Willie Nelson: Jim Herrington)
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Willie Nelson; Producer (group): Lost Highway; Status: In Season
Posted October 30 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters