In Nicholas Sparks’ plasticky new tearjerker, Dear John, Army boy John meets angelic college gal Savannah on a North Carolina beach and begins a crash course in true love. But while John cherishes Savannah’s old-fashioned virtues (she’s a chaste, churchgoing teetotaler) and she likens their meeting to ”pure white light, breathtaking to behold,” John’s prolonged post-9/11 absences gradually erode the relationship. He’s stationed in Iraq when he receives the titular kiss-off letter. We’re meant to share John’s sorrow at Savannah’s defection, but Sparks’ gooey vision of her character — part Doris Day, part Mother Teresa — may provoke other reactions to the breakup. Like relief.
Dear JohnIn Nicholas Sparks' plasticky new tearjerker, Dear John, Army boy John meets angelic college gal Savannah on a North Carolina beach and...Dear JohnFictionNicholas Sparks (Author)In Nicholas Sparks' plasticky new tearjerker, Dear John, Army boy John meets angelic college gal Savannah on a North Carolina beach and...2006-11-01Warner Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Nicholas Sparks (Author); Publisher: Warner Books
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Walking Dead' showrunner Scott M. Gimple teases NEXT season
- 'Walking Dead' season finale: Our quick take on 'Conquer'--and yours?
- Justin Timberlake accepts iHeart Radio Innovator Award, recalls when 'they called me weird'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': First promo's here
- 'Once Upon a Time': Inside ID of Maleficent's child
- iHeart Radio Music Awards winners are...
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!