In Nicholas Sparks’ plasticky new tearjerker, Dear John, Army boy John meets angelic college gal Savannah on a North Carolina beach and begins a crash course in true love. But while John cherishes Savannah’s old-fashioned virtues (she’s a chaste, churchgoing teetotaler) and she likens their meeting to ”pure white light, breathtaking to behold,” John’s prolonged post-9/11 absences gradually erode the relationship. He’s stationed in Iraq when he receives the titular kiss-off letter. We’re meant to share John’s sorrow at Savannah’s defection, but Sparks’ gooey vision of her character — part Doris Day, part Mother Teresa — may provoke other reactions to the breakup. Like relief.
Dear JohnIn Nicholas Sparks' plasticky new tearjerker, Dear John, Army boy John meets angelic college gal Savannah on a North Carolina beach and...Dear JohnFictionNicholas Sparks (Author)In Nicholas Sparks' plasticky new tearjerker, Dear John, Army boy John meets angelic college gal Savannah on a North Carolina beach and...2006-11-01Warner Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Nicholas Sparks (Author); Publisher: Warner Books
Posted November 1 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sesame Street' parodies THAT 'When Harry Met Sally' scene
- Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall lay out Beyond Fest lineup
- Marvel shares sneak peek at season 2 of 'Agent Carter'
- Are 'The Revenant' and other Christmas releases at risk of losing SAG voters
- Scott Van Pelt on new midnight 'SportsCenter'
- See an exclusive clip from bonkers Italian horror movie spoof 'The Editor'
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star James Pickens Jr. joins Twitter
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!