In Nicholas Sparks’ plasticky new tearjerker, Dear John, Army boy John meets angelic college gal Savannah on a North Carolina beach and begins a crash course in true love. But while John cherishes Savannah’s old-fashioned virtues (she’s a chaste, churchgoing teetotaler) and she likens their meeting to ”pure white light, breathtaking to behold,” John’s prolonged post-9/11 absences gradually erode the relationship. He’s stationed in Iraq when he receives the titular kiss-off letter. We’re meant to share John’s sorrow at Savannah’s defection, but Sparks’ gooey vision of her character — part Doris Day, part Mother Teresa — may provoke other reactions to the breakup. Like relief.
Dear JohnIn Nicholas Sparks' plasticky new tearjerker, Dear John, Army boy John meets angelic college gal Savannah on a North Carolina beach and...Dear JohnFictionNicholas Sparks (Author)In Nicholas Sparks' plasticky new tearjerker, Dear John, Army boy John meets angelic college gal Savannah on a North Carolina beach and...2006-11-01Warner Books
Genre: Fiction; Author: Nicholas Sparks (Author); Publisher: Warner Books
Posted November 1 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!