Flushed Away is being advertised as the new movie ”from the creators of Shrek and Madagascar,” and while that’s savvier than saying it’s ”from the bedlam-happy folks who brought you Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit,” it isn’t honest. The latest collaboration between DreamWorks and Britain’s sublimely bent Aardman studio, Flushed Away is a true hybrid. It’s the tale of an upper-crust pet mouse named Roddy St. James (voiced by Hugh Jackman as an ingratiatingly polite nerd) who gets flushed down a toilet and into the scavenger-happy sewer world under the streets of London. The movie has the fish-out-of-water arc you’d expect in a mainstream kiddie bash, as well as a sculpty CGI sheen that engagingly mimics, without quite reproducing, the thumbprint tactility of Aardman’s clay-figure style. Yet it also has a great deal of the Aardman spirit. In the sewer, Roddy discovers a squalid, overstuffed metropolis of rodents, amphibians, and shabby discarded bric-a-brac (kitchen tools become power boats, cheap souvenirs priceless treasures), and characters who have imposing egos, whether it’s the Toad, a genocidal frog king (an operatically funny Ian McKellen), still pining for when he was Prince Charles’ pet, or a crew of maggots who burst into ”Don’t Worry, Be Happy” at just the right moment. Flushed Away lacks the action-contraption dottiness of a Wallace and Gromit adventure, but it hits its own sweet spot of demented delight.
(Flushed Away: Dreamworks Animation SKG)
Genre: Kids and Family, Animation; Starring: Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Ian McKellen, Jean Reno, Andy Serkis; Director: David Bowers, Sam Fell; Author: Dick Clement, Ian La Frenais; Release Date Wide: 11/03/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 78; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Paramount Pictures
Posted November 1 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Les Miserables' actor Kyle-Jean Baptiste dies at 21
- Jackson family remembers Michael Jackson on his birthday
- Amal Clooney says Egyptian Al-Jazeera conviction 'sends a dangerous message'
- 5 best non-singles from Kanye West's 'Late Registration' on its 10th anniversary
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!