In 1878, more than 5,000 people died in Memphis of yellow fever — outnumbering the combined death tolls of the Great Chicago Fire, the San Francisco earthquake, and the Johnstown flood. A huge disaster, to be sure, but one that presents challenges for Molly Caldwell Crosby in her attempts to construct a compelling emotional story in The American Plague. The chief problem: Whenever she introduces a character, he or she dies (that’s the nature of writing about epidemics, I suppose). Thankfully, only about a third of her history of yellow fever is set in Memphis; the most gripping parts take place in Cuba after 1898’s Spanish-American War. A group of doctors was sent there to help eradicate the disease, and they eventually discovered that it’s spread by mosquitoes, not through the air or dirty linens. (Not surprisingly, one died outright from yellow fever.) Plague is a sometimes fascinating look at a very narrow period of American medical history.
The American Plague In 1878, more than 5,000 people died in Memphis of yellow fever — outnumbering the combined death tolls of the Great Chicago Fire, the San...The American PlagueNonfictionMolly Caldwell Crosby In 1878, more than 5,000 people died in Memphis of yellow fever — outnumbering the combined death tolls of the Great Chicago Fire, the San...2006-11-03Berkley
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Molly Caldwell Crosby; Publisher: Berkley
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Outlander' postmortem: EP Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on sexy, surreal season premiere
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany on season premiere choking and spanking
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!