Personality-driven food writing has blossomed of late. As novelist Ann Packer puts it in one of the 20 sparkling autobiographical sketches in Death by Pad Thai (paperback): ”The story of how one eats is the story of how one lives….” Eating (and living) during lean times is a favorite subject. As a single mom, Sue Miller wistfully recalls shoveling budget mac ‘n’ cheese into her famished teenage son, while Richard Russo relives a bank-breaking dinner to celebrate his first novel. Aimee Bender, crafter of wonderfully odd fiction, concocts a wonderfully odd essay about her fixation on other people’s sack lunches.
Death by Pad Thai Personality-driven food writing has blossomed of late. As novelist Ann Packer puts it in one of the 20 sparkling autobiographical sketches in Death by Pad ThaiNonfiction Personality-driven food writing has blossomed of late. As novelist Ann Packer puts it in one of the 20 sparkling autobiographical sketches in 2006-11-03Three Rivers Press
Genre: Nonfiction; Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Posted November 3 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!