Personality-driven food writing has blossomed of late. As novelist Ann Packer puts it in one of the 20 sparkling autobiographical sketches in Death by Pad Thai (paperback): ”The story of how one eats is the story of how one lives….” Eating (and living) during lean times is a favorite subject. As a single mom, Sue Miller wistfully recalls shoveling budget mac ‘n’ cheese into her famished teenage son, while Richard Russo relives a bank-breaking dinner to celebrate his first novel. Aimee Bender, crafter of wonderfully odd fiction, concocts a wonderfully odd essay about her fixation on other people’s sack lunches.
Death by Pad Thai Personality-driven food writing has blossomed of late. As novelist Ann Packer puts it in one of the 20 sparkling autobiographical sketches in Death by Pad ThaiNonfiction Personality-driven food writing has blossomed of late. As novelist Ann Packer puts it in one of the 20 sparkling autobiographical sketches in 2006-11-03Three Rivers Press
Genre: Nonfiction; Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Posted November 3 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump at DNC: 'We don’t look to be ruled'
- 'Con Man': Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion want a ‘Spectrum’ movie
- See President Obama's DNC intro video, narrated by Bryan Cranston
- Michael Keaton on 'Beetlejuice' sequel: 'It's possible that ship has sailed'
- 'Another Period' guest blog: Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on latest episode
- 'Barely Famous': Sara, Erin Foster on celebrity stalkers, TV industry
- Lenny Kravitz asks to 'Let Love Rule' for DNC performance
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels