In Harry Cauley’s novle, Millersburg, cantankerous Mamu rules her Millersburg, N.J., farm family, including 17-year- old narrator and grandson Ben, with an iron fist. She builds resentment with a sharp, truthful bite, telling her daughter, ”You were a mistake.” A double murder linked to Mamu’s brother Josh undoes the rigid peace, forcing the clan to abandon its unspoken rules, open up, and implode. In this judiciously short read, Cauley develops his characters with slow control. Mamu may seem cold at first, but it’s a ruse — Mamu finally reveals her vulnerability in a shocking revelation to Ben. When the family members’ various secrets come out, you can’t help but sympathize with them, even hapless Mamu.
Millersburg In Harry Cauley's novle, Millersburg, cantankerous Mamu rules her Millersburg, N.J., farm family, including 17-year- old narrator and...MillersburgFictionHarry Cauley In Harry Cauley's novle, Millersburg, cantankerous Mamu rules her Millersburg, N.J., farm family, including 17-year- old narrator and...2006-11-03Permanent Press
Genre: Fiction; Author: Harry Cauley; Publisher: Permanent Press
Posted November 3 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Valerie Harper gives update after health scare
- See Bill Nye read mean tweets about himself
- 'Days of Our Lives' exclusive: 50th anniversary to feature a killer twist
- Cara Delevingne laughs off that awkward 'Paper Towns' interview on Instagram
- Bruce Springsteen was the surprise guest at U2's latest concert
- What are the critics saying about 'Rogue Nation'?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!