In 1956, the newly wed Colette Rossant moved from her native Paris to New York City and, apparently, nearly starved. As she writes in The World in My Kitchen, she spat out the soft pretzel she bought in Central Park (”It was disgusting! Chewy, salty, with a taste of gasoline”), cringed at her mother-in-law’s tuna sandwich (”A sickening beige…I nearly choked”), and recoiled at her first sundae (”far too sweet…the cherry inedible”). What was a finicky femme to do? She explored Chinatown markets, learned to sauté long beans, befriended Calvin Trillin (”She is so far above frozen food, that I always suspected that she may not keep ice cubes,” he wrote in 1978’s Alice, Let’s Eat), and published cookbooks. Rossant shares some cute tales, but her prose could use some polish, and she ends the memoir with an image staler than a Central Park pretzel: She and her brood sit down to a Christmas feast with ”wonderful, pungent carrot and ginger soup” as Rossant gushes: ”Food in our family seems to still be the catalyst for bringing us together.”
The World in My Kitchen In 1956, the newly wed Colette Rossant moved from her native Paris to New York City and, apparently, nearly starved. As she writes in The World...The World in My KitchenNonfictionColette Rossant In 1956, the newly wed Colette Rossant moved from her native Paris to New York City and, apparently, nearly starved. As she writes in The World...2006-11-03Atria
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Colette Rossant; Publisher: Atria
Posted November 3 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Valiant announces event series 'Summer of 4001 A.D.'
- Robert Downey Jr. cheers on 9-year-old Iron Boy as he saves Sydney
- 'Fuller House' triple talk: Candace, Jodie, and Andrea sit down with EW
- See the cover and an excerpt from Kristen Simmons' 'Metaltown' -- exclusive
- Lauren Cohan of 'The Walking Dead' to guest-star on 'The Mindy Project'
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: See a creepy new clip from 'The Witch'
- 'Bajillion Dollar Propertie$' trailer: Adam Scott, Nick Kroll, and Paul F. Tompkins get realty
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs