So far, no one has tried to link yesterday’s electoral victory for the Democrats with the success of Borat, but give ‘em time. Everyone, it seems, is trying to ride the coattails of Sacha Baron Cohen’s faux foreigner. There’s CBS, which is digging out a long-buried reality/comedy pilot scripted by Borat and Ali G Show co-writer Ant Hines, called The Papdits (you can watch it online here), about the hilarious encounters between an Asian family and ordinary Americans during the clan’s cross-country roadtrip. (Sound familiar?). There’s Mahir “I Kiss You!!!!!” Cagri, the Speedo-clad Turk whose homemade website was a huge Internet phenomenon a few years ago, now claiming that he’s the inspiration for Borat, and that Baron Cohen owes him some money, or at least an apology. (PopWatch’s Scott Brown also noticed the similarity to Mahir, but Baron Cohen has said the inspiration for Borat was a Russian doctor.) Finally, there’s this balloon artist, who’s managed to find a G-rated way to capitalize on the Kazakh kraze. Meanwhile, I have an idea for a character named Snorat, who’s a businessman from Uzbekistan…
Posted November 8 2006 — 10:31 PM EST
- Whitney Houston's brother remembers her iconic Super Bowl performance
- Zoolander and Hansel critique presidential candidate fashion on 'SNL'
- Bernie Sanders appears with Larry David on 'SNL'
- Danai Gurira on the big 'moment of truth' coming up on 'The Walking Dead'
- 'Bern Your Enthusiasm': Larry David stars as Bernie Sanders in 'SNL' spoof
- DGA Awards 2016: Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu wins for 'The Revenant'
- 'Formation' video: Beyoncé used doc footage 'with permission,' says rep