After a proper young lady shoves her lecherous guardian off a cliff, she is psychoanalyzed by Sigmund Freud and investigated by Sherlock Holmes. Is Emily a victim, a murderess, a spy, or a latent lesbian? The Case of Emily V., Keith Oatley’s period whydunit, draws intriguing parallels between shrink and sleuth — both deduce hidden character from subtle clues — and deepens Victorian melodrama with murky neuroses: ”[D]amnable nonsense, which I profoundly resent,” yelps Holmes when Freud diagnoses his narcissism and father issues. A pitch-perfect pastiche of Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories and Freud’s case studies, but a bit too clinical to be emotionally compelling.
The Case of Emily V.After a proper young lady shoves her lecherous guardian off a cliff, she is psychoanalyzed by Sigmund Freud and investigated by Sherlock Holmes. Is Emily...The Case of Emily V.Fiction, Mystery and ThrillerKeith OatleyAfter a proper young lady shoves her lecherous guardian off a cliff, she is psychoanalyzed by Sigmund Freud and investigated by Sherlock Holmes. Is Emily...2006-11-08Pleasure Boat Studio
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Keith Oatley; Publisher: Pleasure Boat Studio
Posted November 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Luke Perry reacts to Lifetime’s 'Unauthorized Beverly Hills, 90210' project
- Maria Menounos named co-anchor at 'E! News'
- 'The Fighter' actor Sean Malone dies following drowning incident
- Alyssa Milano and 'Hacktivist' writers dish on comics and technology
- Lupita Nyong'o to star in New York play written by 'Walking Dead' star
- Bikini Kill will release three new songs
- 'Wet Hot American Summer' creators on ... another sequel?
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!