After a proper young lady shoves her lecherous guardian off a cliff, she is psychoanalyzed by Sigmund Freud and investigated by Sherlock Holmes. Is Emily a victim, a murderess, a spy, or a latent lesbian? The Case of Emily V., Keith Oatley’s period whydunit, draws intriguing parallels between shrink and sleuth — both deduce hidden character from subtle clues — and deepens Victorian melodrama with murky neuroses: ”[D]amnable nonsense, which I profoundly resent,” yelps Holmes when Freud diagnoses his narcissism and father issues. A pitch-perfect pastiche of Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories and Freud’s case studies, but a bit too clinical to be emotionally compelling.
The Case of Emily V.After a proper young lady shoves her lecherous guardian off a cliff, she is psychoanalyzed by Sigmund Freud and investigated by Sherlock Holmes. Is Emily...The Case of Emily V.Fiction, Mystery and ThrillerKeith OatleyAfter a proper young lady shoves her lecherous guardian off a cliff, she is psychoanalyzed by Sigmund Freud and investigated by Sherlock Holmes. Is Emily...2006-11-08Pleasure Boat Studio
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Keith Oatley; Publisher: Pleasure Boat Studio
Posted November 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Tyler Perry shares touching tribute from Bobbi Kristina Brown's funeral
- See Hugh Jackman bring back the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- See Beyoncé birthday wishes from Gwyneth Paltrow, Blue Ivy, and more
- See Kevin Bacon's sweet anniversary tribute to Kyra Sedgwick
- Idris Elba addresses James Bond casting speculation
- Jimmy Fallon thanks Madame Tussauds for making a wax figure of Grumpy Cat
- Chris Evans on more Captain America: 'If Marvel wants me, they got me'
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!