O lucky dead-white-genius babe magnets! Painter Johannes Vermeer got Scarlett Johansson as his fictional assistant in Girl With a Pearl Earring, and now in Copying Beethoven, Ludwig van Beethoven (Ed Harris) gets Diane Kruger as the pretty girl who writes out the cranky musical giant’s manuscripts and lauds his Ode to Joy. Agnieszka Holland’s empurpled bio-fantasy is hooey with an anachronistic feminist slant from start to finish, lacking the jaunty cinematic dementia of Immortal Beloved. As LvB, Harris is intense, and intensely bewigged.
(Copying Beethoven: David Lukacs)
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Ed Harris, Diane Kruger, Matthew Goode; Director: Agnieszka Holland; Author: Stephen J. Rivele, Christopher Wilkinson; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: MGM
Posted November 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!