On the surface, a murder, a religious mission, and a reindeer herd may not seem like a congruous mix. Yet, they’re all incorporated into In a Far Country, a fact-heavy account of a 19th-century missionary couple’s loyalty to its Eskimo neighbors after the brutal slaying of a church aide by a native. Author John Taliaferro can’t be faulted for a lack of research; his depictions of the harsh reality of Alaskan living seem strikingly accurate. But his lackluster prose fails to enhance the intrinsically dry content and misses the colorful, minute details that bring nonfiction to life. Historians may find this story mildly appetizing; others will struggle to get through the first 50 pages.
In a Far CountryOn the surface, a murder, a religious mission, and a reindeer herd may not seem like a congruous mix. Yet, they're all incorporated into In a Far...In a Far CountryNonfictionJohn TaliaferroOn the surface, a murder, a religious mission, and a reindeer herd may not seem like a congruous mix. Yet, they're all incorporated into In a Far...2006-11-08PublicAffairs
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: John Taliaferro; Publisher: PublicAffairs
Posted November 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!