On the surface, a murder, a religious mission, and a reindeer herd may not seem like a congruous mix. Yet, they’re all incorporated into In a Far Country, a fact-heavy account of a 19th-century missionary couple’s loyalty to its Eskimo neighbors after the brutal slaying of a church aide by a native. Author John Taliaferro can’t be faulted for a lack of research; his depictions of the harsh reality of Alaskan living seem strikingly accurate. But his lackluster prose fails to enhance the intrinsically dry content and misses the colorful, minute details that bring nonfiction to life. Historians may find this story mildly appetizing; others will struggle to get through the first 50 pages.
In a Far CountryOn the surface, a murder, a religious mission, and a reindeer herd may not seem like a congruous mix. Yet, they're all incorporated into In a Far...In a Far CountryNonfictionJohn TaliaferroOn the surface, a murder, a religious mission, and a reindeer herd may not seem like a congruous mix. Yet, they're all incorporated into In a Far...2006-11-08PublicAffairs
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: John Taliaferro; Publisher: PublicAffairs
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Penultimate Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Art of Evolution sets the stage for an intense finale
- Who said it: Tony Stark or Robert Downey Jr.?
- Paul Giamatti is anti-dildo in 'Inside Amy Schumer' clip
- Manny Pacquiao being sued for failure to disclose injury ahead of Floyd Mayweather Jr. fight
- Reese Witherspoon and Aidy Bryant almost run away together twice in ‘SNL’ promo
- Nathan Lane sings tribute to David Letterman on ‘Late Show’
- 'The Royals' exclusive clip: Prince Liam drunk sings a Disney song
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Taylor Swift, Cate Blanchett, James Marsden & More!