Edith Gregor Halpert was a force of nature: A strikingly beautiful, charismatic woman with innate entrepreneurial gifts, she brushed off her humble origins as a poor Russian Jewish immigrant in New York City to make her mark in the 20th century art world. In 1926, at age 26, she opened a gallery in Greenwich Village, then a fledgling outpost for starving artists. Thanks to her tireless promotion to wealthy patrons like the Rockefellers, many of the artists in her stable (which would include Stuart Davis, Jacob Lawrence, and Georgia O’Keeffe) managed to avoid starvation during the lean Depression years. The Girl With the Gallery, Lindsay Pollock’s thorough, but overlong bio, lovingly revives Halpert’s remarkable life.
The Girl With the GalleryEdith Gregor Halpert was a force of nature: A strikingly beautiful, charismatic woman with innate entrepreneurial gifts, she brushed off her humble...The Girl With the GalleryNonfiction, BiographyLindsay PollockEdith Gregor Halpert was a force of nature: A strikingly beautiful, charismatic woman with innate entrepreneurial gifts, she brushed off her humble...2006-11-08PublicAffairs
Genre: Nonfiction, Biography; Author: Lindsay Pollock; Publisher: PublicAffairs
Posted November 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!