Alice Munro’s 12-story collection The View From Castle Rock is pitched as ”more personal than any she’s written before,” but that’s just hogwash. The genre doyenne’s perfectly modulated tales have always scored a direct wallop to the cerebral cortex. And she’s still at it as she fictionalizes the history of her father’s family, the Laidlaws. Unfortunately, the book’s first third thrums on; to fully absorb Rock’s clear-eyed charm, start on page 111 with ”The Wilds of Morris Township,” which follows the Scottish clan’s arrival in Canada and inevitable struggle against 19th-century small-town mores. What then follows is a lineup of gorgeous (but never wistful) first-person narratives about childhood friends (”Fathers,” which echoes her own 1994 story ”Spaceships Have Landed”), her parents’ divergent work ethics (”Working for a Living”), and the perils of a lackluster marriage (”The Ticket”). She doesn’t broach any new themes, but Munro’s prodigious talent is all here.
The View From Castle RockAlice Munro's 12-story collection The View From Castle Rock is pitched as ''more personal than any she's written before,'' but that's...The View From Castle RockFictionAlice MunroAlice Munro's 12-story collection The View From Castle Rock is pitched as ''more personal than any she's written before,'' but that's...2006-11-08Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alice Munro; Publisher: Knopf
Posted November 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'SNL': See brand new footage from 'Hobbit Office' starring Martin Freeman
- Kanye as VMAs host in 2016? Not so fast
- Emmys secret ballot: How will Hollywood vote?
- This is what stars looked like at their first VMAs
- Prince talks about his 'experimental' new record 'HITNRUN'
- Carrie Brownstein assembles celeb squad for her book tour
- Meet Jon Rudnitsky, the newest 'SNL' cast member
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!