Alice Munro’s 12-story collection The View From Castle Rock is pitched as ”more personal than any she’s written before,” but that’s just hogwash. The genre doyenne’s perfectly modulated tales have always scored a direct wallop to the cerebral cortex. And she’s still at it as she fictionalizes the history of her father’s family, the Laidlaws. Unfortunately, the book’s first third thrums on; to fully absorb Rock’s clear-eyed charm, start on page 111 with ”The Wilds of Morris Township,” which follows the Scottish clan’s arrival in Canada and inevitable struggle against 19th-century small-town mores. What then follows is a lineup of gorgeous (but never wistful) first-person narratives about childhood friends (”Fathers,” which echoes her own 1994 story ”Spaceships Have Landed”), her parents’ divergent work ethics (”Working for a Living”), and the perils of a lackluster marriage (”The Ticket”). She doesn’t broach any new themes, but Munro’s prodigious talent is all here.
The View From Castle RockAlice Munro's 12-story collection The View From Castle Rock is pitched as ''more personal than any she's written before,'' but that's...The View From Castle RockFictionAlice MunroAlice Munro's 12-story collection The View From Castle Rock is pitched as ''more personal than any she's written before,'' but that's...2006-11-08Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Alice Munro; Publisher: Knopf
Posted November 8 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Can the 'Legends of Tomorrow' ever truly defeat Vandal Savage?
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on how he was forced into 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine'
- Casting Net: Taraji P. Henson to star in Hidden Figures
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star Ellen Pompeo on Meredith-centric midseason return
- Nasim Pedrad to play teenage boy in Fox pilot 'Chad: An American Boy'
- A house divided in 'House of Cards' season 4 trailer
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival casts former 'Bunheads' star Sutton Foster
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday