Remember the ’60s? Hair was growing long, revolution was in the air, and…Barry Manilow hadn’t yet terrified the world with his arena-size schlock. Having dispensed with the 1950s on his last album, Manilow has moved on with The Greatest Songs of the Sixties, wrapping his tenor and a string orchestra around Bacharach tunes, the Beatles’ ”And I Love Her,” and other ’60s ballads. No arguing with the choices, but as usual, Manilow positively buries the songs with his excessive emotionalism. Best moment by far: ”When I Fall in Love,” a schmaltz classic worthy of the Barry treatment.
The Greatest Songs of the Sixties Remember the '60s? Hair was growing long, revolution was in the air, and...Barry Manilow hadn't yet terrified the world with his arena-size schlock....The Greatest Songs of the SixtiesPop Remember the '60s? Hair was growing long, revolution was in the air, and...Barry Manilow hadn't yet terrified the world with his arena-size schlock....2006-11-10
Genre: Pop; Lead Performer: Barry Manilow; Producer (group): Arista
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'New Girl' boss on that season finale shocker--and what's next
- 'Law & Order: SVU' welcomes back familiar faces; get the scoop, watch a sneak peek
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!