Jack Palance, who died of natural causes today at age 87, may have turned himself into a sly running joke in his later years, but for nearly five decades, he was one of the scariest men in movies. The rough-hewn virility so eminently on display when the 72-year-old did three one-armed push-ups at the 1992 Oscar ceremony was a hallmark of his lengthy gallery of movie villains, from the plague-infected thug he played in his first film, Elia Kazan’s Panic in the Streets (1950), to the crass movie producer he played in Jean-Luc Godard’s Contempt (1963), to the cool crime-lord he played in Batman (1989). He often played black-hatted gunslingers in Westerns, most unforgettably in Shane (1953), which earned him the second of his Oscar nominations. He spent 40 years as a top character actor, assaying variations on that role, until his comic twist on the archetype in 1991’s City Slickers finally won him the gold – and a chance to celebrate with his memorable feat of calisthenics. The rest of his career may have been spent in a similarly self-parodic mode in forgettable movies, but Palance didn’t seem to care; he’d made his point and become a beloved national institution. Besides, it’s not like he ever had an illusion about his body of work. “I don’t see the movies I make. Most of them stink. What do I want to watch those for?” he once told EW. “I probably won’t read this article either – unless it’s really sweet.” You can still hear his menacing whisper, can’t you?
Posted January 18 2015 — 7:47 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More