In The Lost, Daniel Mendelsohn recounts his search for the circumstances of the deaths of his great uncle Shmiel and five other members of his Jewish Ukrainian family. The book is many things: a family history, a meditation on Jewishness (with frustratingly academic looks at biblical texts), and a detective story, as Mendelsohn travels from Ukraine to Australia to Israel to Denmark in search of elderly Jews who might be able to fill him in on the details of his kin’s final living months. The Lost is at times moving, though the emotion is frequently undercut by the author’s meandering digressions and winding sentences (one particularly egregious example is 179 words long), on the whole similar to the way Mendelsohn’s grandfather would tell stories, ”all that background, all those Chinese boxes; and then, suddenly, the swift and expert slide into the finale.”
The LostIn The Lost, Daniel Mendelsohn recounts his search for the circumstances of the deaths of his great uncle Shmiel and five other members of...The LostNonfictionDaniel MendelsohnIn The Lost, Daniel Mendelsohn recounts his search for the circumstances of the deaths of his great uncle Shmiel and five other members of...2006-11-10HarperCollins
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Daniel Mendelsohn; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More