Sweet Land, Will Weaver’s 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life’s inevitable changes. (One story, ”A Gravestone Made of Wheat,” inspired the new indie film Sweet Land.) Despite some clichéd intimacy and tangling farm machinery lingo, Weaver can convey authentic emotion. His good-humored simplicity shines in standouts like ”Blaze of Glory,” which follows an elderly couple’s adventurous attempt to maintain their sexual prowess, and ”You Are What You Drive,” a tightly threaded piece in which a 1969 Buick LeSabre forces a woman to confront the unconnected dots of her life.
Sweet Land Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...Sweet LandFictionWill Weaver Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...2006-11-10Borealis
Genre: Fiction; Author: Will Weaver; Publisher: Borealis
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- Meklit serves up brassy office blues in 'Kemekem' video -- exclusive
- Metallica's Kirk Hammett lost his phone -- and 250 song ideas
- TV Land's Younger renewed for second season
- Watch the original 'The Making of Star Wars' documentary
- Adam Lambert premieres 'Ghost Town' lyric video
- Big Sean performs 'One Man Can Change The World' on 'Fallon'
- 'Notary Publix' sneak peek: Jay Pharoah joins Kate McKinnon's series
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Hayden Panettiere, Olivia Munn, Salma Hayek & More!