Sweet Land, Will Weaver’s 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life’s inevitable changes. (One story, ”A Gravestone Made of Wheat,” inspired the new indie film Sweet Land.) Despite some clichéd intimacy and tangling farm machinery lingo, Weaver can convey authentic emotion. His good-humored simplicity shines in standouts like ”Blaze of Glory,” which follows an elderly couple’s adventurous attempt to maintain their sexual prowess, and ”You Are What You Drive,” a tightly threaded piece in which a 1969 Buick LeSabre forces a woman to confront the unconnected dots of her life.
Sweet Land Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...Sweet LandFictionWill Weaver Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...2006-11-10Borealis
Genre: Fiction; Author: Will Weaver; Publisher: Borealis
Posted November 10 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- Oscars 2016: Michael B. Jordan, Daisy Ridley, Cate Blanchett join presenters
- Miramax, Roadside in talks to distribute Obama romance movie 'Southside With You'
- Kanye West does not even pretend to enjoy being in 'SNL' promos
- Hannibal Buress joins Dwayne Johnson in 'Baywatch'
- 'The X-Files': Mulder and Scully meet their doppelgängers in this exclusive clip
- Andrew Dice Clay talks 'Vinyl': 'Record company guys were out of their f---ing minds!'
- 'Dawson's Creek' revival not likely, says Katie Holmes