Sweet Land, Will Weaver’s 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life’s inevitable changes. (One story, ”A Gravestone Made of Wheat,” inspired the new indie film Sweet Land.) Despite some clichéd intimacy and tangling farm machinery lingo, Weaver can convey authentic emotion. His good-humored simplicity shines in standouts like ”Blaze of Glory,” which follows an elderly couple’s adventurous attempt to maintain their sexual prowess, and ”You Are What You Drive,” a tightly threaded piece in which a 1969 Buick LeSabre forces a woman to confront the unconnected dots of her life.
Sweet Land Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...Sweet LandFictionWill Weaver Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...2006-11-10Borealis
Genre: Fiction; Author: Will Weaver; Publisher: Borealis
Posted November 10 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Being Mary Jane' postmortem: Behind Mark's surprising decision, and what's next
- The first 'Captain America: Civil War' trailer has arrived
- Adele performs 'Hello' with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and classroom instruments
- 'Dancing With the Stars': And the winner is...
- Len Goodman is coming back to 'DWTS'
- Casting Net: Ryan Gosling eyed to play Neil Armstrong in biopic
- Trump rivals will get their equal air time on NBC stations