Sweet Land, Will Weaver’s 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life’s inevitable changes. (One story, ”A Gravestone Made of Wheat,” inspired the new indie film Sweet Land.) Despite some clichéd intimacy and tangling farm machinery lingo, Weaver can convey authentic emotion. His good-humored simplicity shines in standouts like ”Blaze of Glory,” which follows an elderly couple’s adventurous attempt to maintain their sexual prowess, and ”You Are What You Drive,” a tightly threaded piece in which a 1969 Buick LeSabre forces a woman to confront the unconnected dots of her life.
Sweet Land Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...Sweet LandFictionWill Weaver Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...2006-11-10Borealis
Genre: Fiction; Author: Will Weaver; Publisher: Borealis
Posted November 10 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 5 reasons Gal Gadot is a woman who kicks ass
- Justin Bieber wants you to 'look' at his butt
- Taylor Swift's 'Blank Space' breaks another record
- Judd Apatow calls for Cosby supporters to 'stand with the victims'
- Jill Scott says she no longer supports Bill Cosby
- 'Project Runway': Meet the season 14 contestants
- Amanda Peterson, 'Can't Buy Me Love' costar, dies at 43
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Pippa Middleton, Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Alba & More!