Sweet Land, Will Weaver’s 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life’s inevitable changes. (One story, ”A Gravestone Made of Wheat,” inspired the new indie film Sweet Land.) Despite some clichéd intimacy and tangling farm machinery lingo, Weaver can convey authentic emotion. His good-humored simplicity shines in standouts like ”Blaze of Glory,” which follows an elderly couple’s adventurous attempt to maintain their sexual prowess, and ”You Are What You Drive,” a tightly threaded piece in which a 1969 Buick LeSabre forces a woman to confront the unconnected dots of her life.
Sweet Land Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...Sweet LandFictionWill Weaver Sweet Land, Will Weaver's 12-tale ode to the Midwest, is a well-mannered exploration of life's inevitable changes. (One story, ''A...2006-11-10Borealis
Genre: Fiction; Author: Will Weaver; Publisher: Borealis
Posted November 10 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Ghostbusters' director gets 'choked up' by supportive fans
- Miley Cyrus storms Virginia college to campaign for Hillary Clinton
- Lauryn Hill gives powerful performance of 'Rebel' on 'Charlie Rose'
- 'Jessica Jones' season 2: Showrunner promises all-female directors
- Cecilia Hart, wife of James Earl Jones, dies at 68
- Tom Cruise, Jude Law compare on-set underwater breath-holding stories
- 'Deadpool 2' loses director Tim Miller