When it comes to unlikely anthropomorphization, Pixar isn’t afraid to raise the bar. You’ll believe a bug can cry? That marine life can be hot-blooded? Check. Trailers for Cars suggested that, in making motor vehicles emotive vehicles, the studio might have met its match, but Pixar’s flair for talking barracudas stretches to include Plymouth Barracudas. In a featurette, director John Lasseter insists this $244 million grosser is ”personal” filmmaking, and you buy that. While the realistic racetrack scenes are targeted at the huge cult of NASCAR disciples, the midsection is pitched at a relatively minuscule religious order: the mere tens of thousands of us who make pilgrimages to Route 66 each year, remembering a time when Americans drove ”to have a great time,” not ”make great time,” as the script’s cornball Zen has it. Alas, we’ll have to wait for a more deluxe edition for a commentary that catalogs the architectural in-jokes (hey, there’s the Lautner Chemosphere house!) or even gives directions (to, say, the Route 66 ”wigwam” motels on which Cars’ traffic-cone motor inn is modeled). For now, you get pencil-test outtakes, two shorts, and a wish-fulfillment epilogue in which everything mid-century is new again.
Genre: Animation, Kids and Family; Starring: Paul Newman, Owen Wilson, Bonnie Hunt, Cheech Marin; Director: John Lasseter; Author: John Lasseter; Release Date Wide: 06/09/2006; Runtime (in minutes): 116; MPAA Rating: G; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted November 14 2006 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Star Wars': Phallic toys prompt Target apology, snickers
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: See SpongeBob SquarePants step out in long pants
- 'The Light Between Oceans' gets Labor Day weekend release date
- Kiefer Sutherland gets hassled in exclusive clip from 'Forsaken'
- Great news for 'Kocktails with Khloé' fans
- 'Broad City' is messy as ever in first season 3 trailer
- See Paul McCartney create first-ever audio Mojis
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday